Infusion idea - Don't track my mac

majajobee

http://networkingnerd.net/2014/06/10/dont-track-my-mac/

Many people have responded to NSA tracking by troling them, one example: http://trollthensa.com/

Can the pineapple do something similar for the way we are being tracked with our mac addresseses?

If it were flooding the airwaves with random macs or, even better repeating the macs of random people in the area, it may render their information useless or at least very difficult to use.

Thoughts?

Edited by majajobee

It's a wifi pineapple you should be able to do better than that.

"They can see where you’ve been in the store with a resolution of a couple of feet (much better than GPS)"

I'm talking about being able to walk into walmart with a pineapple and a few directional antennas, logging the macs of your fellow shoppers and replaying them around the store, maybe even with different power levels? That's got a better chance of messing up what it is they are trying to do.

It's a wifi pineapple you should be able to do better than that.

"They can see where you’ve been in the store with a resolution of a couple of feet (much better than GPS)"

I'm talking about being able to walk into walmart with a pineapple and a few directional antennas, logging the macs of your fellow shoppers and replaying them around the store, maybe even with different power levels? That's got a better chance of messing up what it is they are trying to do.

Aside from the legal issue of walking into Walmart using your Pineapple without the consent of the company and all customers within, replaying people's MAC addresses (whatever that means) on the same network won't do anything for you. Whoever is tracking them will still see everyone is on the same network in the same location. newbi3's solution is just fine because it allows you to change the MAC address of the Pineapple so you aren't tracked. Of course if you are in a public location on WiFi that most likely requires MAC based authentication you will be reauthenticating every 5 seconds with the AP.

Edited by sud0nick

You guys have the wrong idea about how their tracking technology works. It's like creepy dol on steroids. It's location tracking without being connected to a network. Triangulation based off your probes I assume. If you haven't seen the defcon talk regarding creepy dol:

I don't think Newbi3's solution will work. To someone monitoring the system I think it would be obvious that one person is walking around with a device that is randomly changing macs. One of my assumptions is that the main reason this would be obvious is because 99% of devices use omni-directional antennas, which would make it much easier to triangulate a signal. My theory is that I can project digital doppelgangers of other people's devices, making the entire system more difficult to get accurate information out of.

I'm just using walmart as an example, a better one would be a public area under a facist government, or Brendan O'Connor stalking a city for his how motives.

The other thing to note is that these systems also use other signals like gsm to track you as well, and that will take extra steps to thwart.

It's a cat and mouse game, does the pineapple have what it take to beat the creepy dol ?

Edited by majajobee

I don't think Newbi3's solution will work. To someone monitoring the system I think it would be obvious that one person is walking around with a device that is randomly changing macs.

It doesn't matter if its obvious you can't track me. Also there is no human sitting here monitoring these systems. Since there is no way to stop them from collecting the data you might as well pollute the data so its next to impossible to draw an accurate picture.

I understand what you're saying but I don't think its something worth writing a hundred lines of code when I just accomplished the same thing with 4 lines of python. However, with that said feel free to make your vision happen the way you want it to :D

I totally disagree, check the video again at 30mins you see a map with all devices. Your device will be there just like the rest, the map will show an anomaly which looks like random people poping in and out of existence as you walk down the street. Anyone with a clue will know what you're doing and a simple filter could make the system alert someone about a trouble maker like you and they would know your exact position. That's not even close to a working solution, and you compromised yourself.