Methods or Websites to Practice Bash?

Hi everyone, I've recently come to the sad conclusion that my Bash and overall shell scripting could use some work. While I can create very basic routines, I still have to make use of my notes that I create for correct syntax, and formula. I'd like to get to the point where I can craft and be pretty competent and not have to make such heavy use of my notes.

I've picked up the Bash Scripting Bible text book, which really is an amazing read. but I learn by practice. Does anyone know of any good sites that offer practice scenarios, idea's and projects? Something that tests knowledge section by section, and increases in difficultly etc..

I guess I'd love to have something like Codcadmy but I guess that's asking too much. Any recommendations would be vastly appreciated!

Easiest is just install a VM of linux and try coding stuffup, but if you're afraid to damage your OS, you can try a simple bash emulator like http://www.learnshell.org/

btw, just google, looks like lots of similar sites - http://www.tutorialspoint.com/codingground.htm

https://www.google.com/#q=learn+interactive+bash+shell+scripting+online+

Edited by digip

thanks digip, but I already have multiple vms and even my laptop is completely Linux based. I'm asking more for scripting ideas and practice problems, and ideas of things to script.

thanks digip, but I already have multiple vms and even my laptop is completely Linux based. I'm asking more for scripting ideas and practice problems, and ideas of things to script.

I usually learn as I go, when I hit a wall and can't find a solution to something I need, I ask, but until then, it's more, do this when I need to as I need to.I'm not an everyday linux user though, so I don't have a relative need for it, but same with windows, I'm not proficient in powershell or such, but if there is something I need a solution to, then I just look it up and move on.

I wrote a script to create a directory for my locally stored webpages. Once you have a bunch locally stored webpages it starts to come in handy. Or write a script that will wget all of your bookmarked pages and store them to your local machine.

I wrote some scripts for reinstalling all of my software packages at some point. Haven't updated it for a long time.

Generating and sorting wordlists or email lists, your address book.

Post to blogger or facebook from BASH. Or better yet post to every social media site whenever you make a new blog post.

Directory submission scripts.

A script to view random profiles on pof so you can get a date. Or Linkedin or any site where the user account number shows and the site shows users who viewed them. Same concept as follower churn on twitter. (You can't do that anymore.)

script a hack from start to finish

make a photo gallery website from all of your photos

a script to boost your popularity on a top site

write a script that uses voice a screen reader to tell you that your are sexy or some other random comment at random time intervals.