Sign....new Kali Wifi problems...

Apparition

ok guys so I finally got my wifi to start up and connected. Now after connecting, it disconnects around a minute. I have to unplug the adapter and plug it back it to get it to connect again but it disconnects again. After it disconnects, it shows full bars but I cannot get access to the net. Suggestions?

post-51232-0-60283400-1438838480_thumb.j

post-51232-0-67966200-1438838485_thumb.j

How do you notice that it disconnects? Anything in the logs for when it does?

Is this under a VM or directly onto your hardware?

Edited by Cooper

Based on the eth0 nic 08:00:27 CADMUS COMPUTER SYSTEMS I'd say not a VM/vmware nic?

When starting your adapters with airmon-ng, you should have two nics, one managed and one monitor mode. This allows you to connect as well as sniff traffic. If you are starting the adapters manually and changing say wlan0 or wlan2 to connect and then trying to sniff in monitor mode, switching will disconnect you if only using one adapter. airmon-ng creates the virtual adapter alias for splitting a card into two(if card is capable) which should show something like wlan0 + mon0, for managed and monitor modes.

Can you run iwconfig for us in addition to "ifconfig -a", "iwconfig wlan0", "iwconfig wlan1", "iwconfig wlan2", "iwconfig mon0" etc

http://www.linuxcommand.org/man_pages/iwconfig8.html

Also, what model is your alpha card? Might need to lower your speed settings for managed mode for stability.

Edited by digip

How do you notice that it disconnects? Anything in the logs for when it does?

Is this under a VM or directly onto your hardware?

I was downloading the Nessus updates and it disconnected. Everytime I try to redownload it disconnects after around a minute. It doesnt just happen with Nessus, it happens with other large downloads as well. I am using Kali in Virtual Box with Alpha adapter, chipset Atheros AR9271.

post-51232-0-69269600-1438882397_thumb.j

post-51232-0-51903600-1438882403_thumb.j

Signal looks decent, only thing I would try is go wired for downloading until you figure out what's up with the wifi dropping or try a different USB port. Possible it's being grabbed by the host OS or passing back and forth due to loose connection, but not 100% sure. Nothing obvious comes to mind.

try "iwlist wlan2 scan"

might just be interference or weak signal, although the card reports decent levels from your iwconfig screenshot., just wondering what other traffic is in the area. Can try switching to N only or different channels depending on the nearby wireless devices.

I think he's not sure where to look for the errors is the main issue, as maybe he isn't familiar with the console commands to see what the hardware is doing.

@Apparition - any time you do something in linux, it gets logged somewhere, from bringing up an adapter to commands you use in a terminal(bash history), events such as hardware issues get logged to dmesg. You can watch changes with this by opening a terminal and issuing dmesg before plugging in your card and after plugging it in, and it will show you what it looks like when connecting, and also any errors that may occur upon insertion. You should also see info when your connection stops and possibly what the problem is when issuing the command again once internet traffic stops.

like "lsusb" will show your connected hardware, dmesg will show a log of what's happening (kernel messages mostly for things logged).

You could so something lke:

dmesg | grep -i usb

but might just be better off doing "less dmesg" and then scrolling up and down in the console to look for errors. hit ":q" to exit less.

Edited by digip