Security

LACHDT

So i am fairly proficient with linux but i recently realized that my security isnt well, very secure. I then realized i don't really know where to begin with building a strong security system for my computer. So i was wondering if someone would help me out, and tell me what i can do to make my security stronger.

Honestly, that's rather vague. But it sounds like you just want to increase your overall level of home security.

A decent firewall, physically separate to your computers is not a bad start. Monowall, smoothwall etc. Look into them, how to set them up.

Also use malwarebytes free to scan for any nasties lurking on your machine. It finds stuff your average AV just wont.

Also never use anything by McAfee or Symantec.

That should get you started.

well i know that if i were to go onto another one of my computers i would eventually be able to hack my computer. i want to do as much as i can to prevent this.

In that case my advice to you would be to do just that. Figure out a way to get into machine A from machine B. Then take a long, hard look at what you can do from machine A's perspective to prevent this without losing functionality you currently use. If there's no way to close the gap (vital service with issues for which no fix exists), use firewall rules to only allow access to that service from those machines that MUST have this access and apply a generous helping for logging to these accesses to make sure that when something tries to exploit the service, you know about it.

Repeat for all services and eventually you'll have secured your box AND learned a lot about attacking one aswell.