I have kali linux 1.0.9 SDR setup?

Ive just ordered the rtl sdr package. Is kali 1.0.9 ready to go or is it incompatible? Also how do I get started with sdr? What repositories and dependencies are required? Ive just heard about SDR a few days ago and it seems like info is geared towards experts or lingo. Also im not sure in what order to follow to setup.

My kali has ggnucampanion 3.6

Any one have a newbie friendly step by step on setting up SDR so I can start having fun? My major interest is GSM analysing.

Thank you

Given your stated interest, start reading here: http://osmocom.org/

No idea what Kali provides out of the box, but it's impossible for it to be 'incompatible'. It either provides the kernel module, or you can simply compile your own (please tell me you're not new to Linux...).

Im not new to linux but new to getting this. I am just wanting a clear path because the info seems scattered and I am just wanting to be prepared when dongle arrives. I know windows should be easy but i dont want to go that route as I will be using kali bare metal no vmware. I just havent found any info on newest kali as everything ive read referring to kali 1.0.6

I ran Kali 1.0.7 for a while and used the pre-installed Gqrx to get my SDR on. Just make sure you go into settings and set up an Admin account so you're not running Kali as root then log into that account and you should be good to go just like running any other Debian based Distro.

Of course if you want to free up some hard drive space(Kali eats up a lot of it IMHO) you can move to something like Manjaro and get Gqrx from the Community Repos and have the same SDR support as in Kali. Also, IIRC, any of the Debian Testing Distros would have Gqrx in the Repos now as well.

Like I said, if you want something that'll take up less hard drive space you can install Manjaro and get Gqrx from the Repos through Octopi or PacmanXG and it's easy as pie to do. I just didn't need all those extra tools that Kali had so that's the main reason I moved to something else. If you can get use out of em' then by all means, do the Kali install and set up an Admin account to run it from and it'll be just like any other Debian Distro all be it one LARGE Distro.

Looking at the SDR# changelog there's a distinct gap in updates in august. I do recall the main (sole?) developer being busy with a similar side-project and also him being miffed for basically being told off by leechers that he should get off his ass and fix their free software for them or some such, which resulted in him pulling the download link. It would seem things have improved since then and the updates are once again steadily rolling in.