Stupid (?) newbie questions

johnjdoe

Hi,

first I would like to thank the whole team for such a cool stuff like the Pineapple Mark V!

I allready read a lot and searched about informations, but I have some questions about things who are not clear to me. It would be great if someone could give me an answer!

The first questions are about the network with the Mark V:

If I understand it right, there are the following possibilities to connect the Mark V to an internal network:

* client mode using wlan1 from the Mark V and a connection to a WIFI

* bridged mode over a computer (Win/Linux/Mac) using the wlan1/lan connection of the Mark V

* teathering mode over a device using the wlan1 from the Mark V

Is this correct?

And I understand further that the wlan0 from the Mark V is used only as an access point for the „victims“. Is this correct too?

That's why the Mark V has two antenas? With the Mark IV there was only this possibility to make it a MITM: https://lh6.ggpht.co....png?imgmax=800

Right?

The other questions are about some offered features:

What exactly is the role of Karma? Discovering and simulating APs (Jasager/rogue)?

What exactly is the role of PineAP?

What is Dogma, the Beacon Response and the Auto Harvester?

Are there some tutorials aside from the Youtube videos? Especialy concerning the features from the PineAP tab?

Are there some detailed informations (more than the description on the Wiki) about the different infusions and their role/functionality?

Sorry, I know that I ask a lot but some things might be clear for most of you but even after looking and searching arround, they aren't for me... shame

Thank you in advance!

If I understand it right, there are the following possibilities to connect the Mark V to an internal network:

There are three network connection categories. Each category has a few connection options.

1) Ethernet

Pineapple to router via ethernet cable

Pineapple to ICS-enabled computer via ethernet cable

2) Wireless (Client Mode)

Pineapple to wireless network, wireless AP, or WiFi hotspot via wlan1

Pineapple to wireless network, wireless AP, or WiFi hotspot via USB network adapter (wlan2)

3) USB

Pineapple to USB 3G/4G modem via USB cable

Pineapple to iPhone or Android via USB cable

And I understand further that the wlan0 from the Mark V is used only as an access point for the „victims“. Is this correct too?

Yes. By default, wlan0 is reserved for Pineapple clients and is set to master mode (AP mode), which allows clients to connect to the Pineapple. If you wanted to, you could configure wlan0 to act as a client and wlan1 to act as an AP.

That's why the Mark V has two antenas?

Yes, the Mk V has two antennas because one (wlan1) is used as a client and the other (wlan0) is used as an access point. This allows the Pineapple to connect to a wireless network while simultaneously hosting an access point. It also allows the Pineapple to share its internet connection from wlan1 to the clients connected to wlan0. The Mk IV was only able to do one or the other without adding a USB network adapter.

What exactly is the role of Karma? Discovering and simulating APs (Jasager/rogue)?

KARMA's job is to trick WiFi-enabled devices (i.e. computers, smartphones, etc.) into connecting to the Pineapple. Here's how it works:

Most devices are continuously searching for networks that they've previously connected to so they can automatically reestablish a connection. To do this, the devices send out probe requests. KARMA listens for those probe requests. When KARMA sees a probe request, it clones the network that the device is searching for and responds to the device. In other words, KARMA tricks the device into believing that the Pineapple is the network that it's looking for. This causes the device to connect to the Pineapple.

What exactly is the role of PineAP? What is Dogma, the Beacon Response and the Auto Harvester?

I only updated to the latest firmware yesterday so I haven't experimented with the new PineAP suite yet. From what I can tell, the PineAP suite is essentially an extension of KARMA, and it was most likely developed in an effort to bring KARMA back to life.

Beacon response is basically the new probe response. It's needed to exploit devices that are no longer susceptible to the traditional KARMA probe request/ response method.

Harvester is used to harvest information from probe requests. Probe requests contain information about the access point that the device is searching for.

Dogma gives you the ability to respond to a single probe request or respond to all probe requests. Before, KARMA would automatically respond to all probe requests. Dogma helps you to be more target-oriented.

Edited by chriswhat

An excellent rundown by Chris. One minor clarification though. wlan0 is not "only" for victims. You can use it as a real Access Point if you like or even connect to it yourself to get to the pineapples management page. Even when Karma is running this is possible. I don't want you or others to believe that interface is useless for other purposes...

An excellent rundown by Chris. One minor clarification though. wlan0 is not "only" for victims. You can use it as a real Access Point if you like or even connect to it yourself to get to the pineapples management page. Even when Karma is running this is possible. I don't want you or others to believe that interface is useless for other purposes...

I agree, and I prefer "client" over "victim."

Thank you Chris for this absolutely understandable and comprehensive explanation! :smile:

You're welcome. Now that the Pineapple is gaining a new foothold, I'm trying to revive my interest in it. I'll see about making a PineAP suite tutorial.

You're welcome. Now that the Pineapple is gaining a new foothold, I'm trying to revive my interest in it. I'll see about making a PineAP suite tutorial.

Chris, Your tutorials are simply amazing! I think I've seen all of them by now. I highly recommend anyone to see his tutorials. He makes the complicated look so easy! Looking forward to your next tutorial.

Cheers!!

Thanks again Chris. Could you tell me/us please where to find your tuts?