Tracking 30 Miles Away

I'm surprised over how the dongle i ordered from hack was tracking a UPS plane 30 miles away from me kinda interesting am im just using the antenna that came with it :/

yQrAUO5.png

managed to pick up two planes while i had the MKV outside.

I fired up dump1090 the other day and just as I turned it on, an airplane was passing by just above my town. It was up 36.000 feet and going from the Netherlands to the US.
Considering where I live, It's pretty amazing :)

I'm just surprised cause people said that it wouldn't pick hardly anything up without a better antenna does hak5 happen to sell a antenna for the SDR or any of you happen to know of a antenna you'd recommend ?

Well as I am sure you may have seen on the episode I did with Shannon when we linked my SDR to her Virtual Desktop Radar from Ireland to the Bay Area, I can track from Dublin, Ireland across to the mainland UK quite well.

I'm in central Netherlands and from the 1st floor of a regular house (with the antenna indoors even!) in a suburban environment I managed to get the full width of The Netherlands. Haven't tried from my appartement building (5th floor in a fairly built-up area, though nothing over 8 stories I think).