Uptime?

Snauzage

I've got a Defcon Mark V, had one radio set client mode to my local network, and had 'reconnaissance' running...it seems to hang in short order. Is this thing not intended for long uptime, or are my expectations too high? I've had several situations where it appears to hang at <24 hour amounts of uptime.

Currently reconnaissance is relying on airodump-ng for the backend frame grabs. Unfortunately it eats up way more CPU then it should. We're writing out own lightweight implementation for the next version. How long are you setting your recon scans for? Do you have continuous checked? Any other heavy infusions like sslstrip going concurrently?

Best uptime I've had yet was 3 months on a solar powered rig. Was bummed when I had to recycle the panel for another project.

I'm still coming up to speed with the idiosyncrasies of the box (which radio to use when) so I'm happy to blame the user...I'm not doing any one thing specifically (other than having the Pineapple in client mode and hitting the management interface from wlan1 and finding it unresponsive.) I'll try to narrow it down to a specific behavior, but a situation where it's just sitting, doing nothing particularly strenuous and it just doesn't respond.

I've got it on the opposite end of the house (SIGINT is much more interesting there), and I'll notice after a day or two, that I can't reach it. When I checked this morning, it just had a solid green light.

When you say reach it, how exactly? Over WiFi (from client mode or directly connected to its AP), Ethernet, Serial? If it's over wifi client mode connected to your home network, perhaps a troubleshooting script may be in order.

Something that looks over a ping of your home router followed by uptime > /sd/logfile with a 10 second sleep.

I'm wondering if it's really the device hanging or just a snafu in the networking.

I have had my pineapples misbehave in the recent past. Like you I have been learning a lot by trial and error. I enjoy figuring out how things work, isn't that what hackers really do?

Some things I have found to help when having issues (slow or non-responsive):

- Wiping the SD Card after a major update.

- Re-flashing firmware

This process seems to get better with every new version released. Hoping that we can preload backed up configurations in the near future to make remote flashing possible without having to have another node on the network to reconfigure everything each time.

I've got a feature request in asking for a post firmware flash to check the SD for configs...I'm sure there are a lot of people here that would just as soon NOT advertise there's a Pineapple_XXXX in the vicinity. :)

I wouldn't think you'd want to maintain ALL of the settings (you'd run into compatibility problems sooner or later), but remembering the Network interfaces and their settings might not be a bad idea.