Small networking question

Bob

How do i allow my WLAN connected laptops to see, and use shared files on, my wired computer, much like the school network in the 1x06 attack on the old apache box

Router=Linux WRT54G

(wired/wireless and b/g broadcast)

What private IP range & subnet mask are you using? What WRT-54G firmware are you using? (DD-WRT is one of the best, if your using stock firmware, check it out). You should just be able to type in the ip of the machine, ie Start -> Run -> "192.168.1.103" for example. But you need to make sure file and printer sharing is turned on already.

What private IP range & subnet mask are you using? What WRT-54G firmware are you using? (DD-WRT is one of the best, if your using stock firmware, check it out). You should just be able to type in the ip of the machine, ie Start -> Run -> "192.168.1.103" for example. But you need to make sure file and printer sharing is turned on already.

ip range is

192.168.1.100-149

subnet mask is

stock firmware

Also, if im trying to share a printer, should i do a //[printername] ? or a //[myip] then find the printer through there? i guess basically im trying to get my WLAN and my LAN to look teh same, so a qucik scan will pick up all users boteh wireless and wired

If your printer is attached via Ethernet, then it will be printerIP. If its attached to a computer it should be done threw that computer.

I don't see your issue though, it should be a case that your wired and wireless networks are on the same section of your LAN. How are you scanning?

alright,needs to be done through my computer

the problem is that my Wireless lan and my wired lan (both on the same router) arent communication with one another, or at least i think

nmap -sP 192.168.1.100-150

on my computer reveals only one client

the same thing on my dads laptop (wireless) shows 3

(his,my sisters,her friends atm)

I have noticed this problem before some computers not showing up under network neighborhood even though everything is setup correctly. Can you ping all the computers on the network? Cause if you can ping them then just cause they don't show up you should still be able to share files and printers.

no they do not show on a -sP nmap scan, or a regular nmap scan, ora windows ping scan, so, im assuming my router is handling my wired and wireless networks diffrently, therefore, i need to mkae them be one, so i can share my printer with my familie's computers

Really any wired network should be firewalled from a wireless network if you really must use a wireless network. Few access points actually have this sort of functionality out of the box, but perhaps yours dose and it's turned on by default which would be a good thing.

You might have a vlan problem. I'm not sure if this applies to the WRT54G, but some routers dont show wired computers from wireless and vice versa. Even though they are on the same IP range, they may be on seperate virtual lans which would explain them not showing up

is there any known workaround for this problem?

i ahve another linksys router, im not sure of teh modle number but its a standard 4 port wired, and a switch, if i were to connect the wireless router to the wired router would it show, or would it only show the wireless router's IP?