Newbie lessons learned after 3 days of playing

mpd352

I'm new to the Pineapple and not a strong Linux user. I've been playing with the gadget for a couple od days, and have been having a ball. I did run into a few issues that I've resolved, and though I'd share them here for other newbies.

1. I downloaded and installed Ubuntu on my laptop to run beside Windows 7 - all in all this was better than trying to manage a Linux machine through Windows machine.

2. My Mark V was bricked out of the box, but the unbricking instructions worked like a charm.

3. After two days of playing it became clear that I needed a larger and faster Micro SD card. Putting in a fast 16GB card was well worth the cost. I now install all my infusions to the card.

4. I set my V to have the second radio attach to my home wireless or my Verizon MiFi to get an internet connection. Pretty much all day yesterday I actually connected to and managed the V via my iPad via the web interface and an SSH terminal program on the iPad. The issue I had is after a reboot it would take a lot of trying and retrying to get Wlan1 to connect to the internet AP while keep Wlan0 running as my test AP. Downloading and installing WiFi Manager solved this problem - this infusion is highly recommended if you are going to use the second radio as your internet connection.

5. Karm, SSLStirp and tcpdump all installed with no drama.

6. I watched Chris Haralson's video at http://youtube.com/watch?v=nw4bo4rXGgQ and was able to get evilportal and nodogsplash running fine. I even followed his suggestion and modified the splash pages in photoshop for my purposes. One use I plan for this gadget is to provide concrete proof to certain skeptics about how easy it is to hijack folks with so called "free internet" hotspots.

7. Finally, for laughs, I set up occupineapple. I found the install to be easy, but when fired up all the SSID's I saw were gobbledygook. A post in this forum indicated that is caused by extraneous characters in the .list file, so I just used nano to create a new clean mine.list file and Boom! She works.

8. My next project is going to use my coworkers as willing guinea pigs to show how evilportal, karma and tcpdump can be used to collect packets and parse them for things like usernames, email addresses, log-ins and such. I do not allow any wireless AP's on our internal network. All the AP's are on the outside of the firewall. To access internal services wirelessly my users have to start a Citrix XenDesktop session, which is encrypted. That causes no end of whining from folks that think "Wireless is so convenient!"

Love this toy!

Kevin

Many thanks for sharing your experience with your Pineapple.

I will soon have my hands on one as well.

Regarding the Unbuntu Server, I did the same as you. Partitioned my Win 7 and made it dual boot with Unbuntu Server.

I followed Chris' tutorial up to the point where i needed the MK V.

An idea would be to have a VIDEO manual of the infusions. How they are used etc..

As soon as i get mine and If I get the hang of it, I'll make some.

cheers,

cheeto

THCMinister:

On the initial startup the blue light would blink, then go out and you would get the steady red. No connectivity with the device. So I followed the unbricking instructions which resolved the issue.

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...
I'm new to the Pineapple and not a strong Linux user. I've been playing with the gadget for a couple od days, and have been having a ball. I did run into a few issues that I've resolved, and though I'd share them here for other newbies.

Good idea, thanks.

1. I downloaded and installed Ubuntu on my laptop to run beside Windows 7 - all in all this was better than trying to manage a Linux machine through Windows machine.

While I'm a Linux person and highly recommend it, for an ssh client, I actually prefer Putty.

3. After two days of playing it became clear that I needed a larger and faster Micro SD card. Putting in a fast 16GB card was well worth the cost. I now install all my infusions to the card.

There seems to have been a major issue with the cards as delivered; my pineapple wasn't bricked, but even gparted couldn't figure out the formatting.

4. I .... Downloading and installing WiFi Manager solved this problem - this infusion is highly recommended if you are going to use the second radio as your internet connection.

Good recommendation.

Love this toy!

Me too!