Watching Planes on Windows

no42

This software RTL1090 (my favourite, but there is also ADSB#) will enable you to translate the ADS-B messages from planes on the Windows OS. Watch the planes transponder codes that fly overhead.

Combined with PlanePlotter you can then see where the planes are on a map! PlanePlotter has to eventually be licensed - but you get a nice 30-day trial.

Other open source alternatives are Virtual Radar Software and ADSBscope.

Enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a newbie to SDR as well - using ADSB# and adsb-Scope in Windows 7 - 64bit - I've managed to get it functioning .. but when comparing flightradar24.com I certainly don't get the planes on my screen that are in my area. I AM getting a nice list of info in the right had logging area (some of it seems bogus - however.) Any thoughts as to why I'm only getting limited aircraft icons on the map section - as right now - I have 4 planes in my log list and only 1 displaying.

I think I can answer my own question - I get a bunch of planes with NO Lat/Long data ... only planes with Lat/Long data actually display. So my question is - why wouldn't these other planes be broadcasting Lat/Long ?

I noticed this as well. I'm thinking that perhaps the planes are sitting on the edge of the range for the stock antenna. If this were the case, then adsb# may only be decoding what it can, which is why you get some planes with no data beyond the ICA024 and Registration, while others you might get the altitude or heading, etc. The signal may be too weak, or there may be too much interference for the receiver to pick up the full packet of information.

Speaking of interference - I have my USB dongle plugged into the rear of my computer.. with the antenna cable running out a small hole in my wall and the magnetic antenna stuck to a small piece of metal on the side of my house. I saw on youtube somewhere (sorry - don't recall where) that someone used an USB extension cable to get the dongle away from the computer ... Does anyone know if this is necessary / or even helps? I could move the entire thing outside at that rate....

I have yet to have the FM radio to work... all I get is static :*( but I've been focused on the adsb scope for now (one thing at a time)

Looking forward to your reply.

Not sure it is the antenna... I have major flights that come directly over (well, as close as any others that I DO get a Lat/Long on) and never pick up them up on my screen. I wonder if there is a way to measure their transmission strength? Maybe some transponders don't put out like others? I really don't know what's possible. I am looking at the other posts concerning antennas to see what I can do to beef up my receiving ability.

Remember, the Orange FAA aircraft on flightradar24 are delayed by 5 minutes so you'll probably not see them on your ADS-B but any of the Yellow aircraft that are in range should come in real time between flightradar24 and your ADS-B set up.

As for FM reception I went "old school" and just split a piece of speaker wire out 3' per side and hung it up on the wall then I ran it to my supplied antenna and connected it to that using a small ring terminal and cleaned off the bottom of the little antenna with some sand paper so it'd make contact with the ring terminal when I screwed it down to hold it in place. I picked up 10db doing that.

I think I can answer my own question - I get a bunch of planes with NO Lat/Long data ... only planes with Lat/Long data actually display. So my question is - why wouldn't these other planes be broadcasting Lat/Long ?

I think the answer is that you are getting Mode-C transponder packets and not ADS-B packets from those airplanes. Almost all of my airplanes without Lat/Long do have an altitude and a squawk code that is being reported which looks like what a Mode-C transpoder would be sending out. I have noticed that all of the international flights in my area seem to have ADS-B. It is just a guess...

• 5 months later...