Best way to install KALI LINUX?

lucasgor88

I prefer VMs (VirtualBox personally).

I still feel hard disk installs for BT/Kali are not recommended, because it is tweaked for pen testing, not an every day OS.

Dual boot is another option if you want to sacrifice the hard disk space, I would set the boot loader to load my primary OS first instead of Kali though.

USB Stick may be slow due to transfer speeds, and you would need at least an 8 GB+ USB stick.

Depends on your machine, but I would download their pre-made VM's and use USB Wifi nics with it. If you have a spare laptop with compatible hardware and wifi, then a native install or dual boot would be fine, just remember to change the default passwords and setup sudousers, but I prefer the VM's as well for ease of use and snapshot ability. VMware is my choice for virtual machines, but you can install to VBox as Mr Protocol mentioned as well and it will work just fine.

For on the go use, a large USB thumbdrive is nice and you can install if with full disk encryption and persistence as well. Just have to remember to carry extra compatible wifi cards as well, but usually most kali and bt users carry multiple wifi cards at times anyway depending on what they are doing.

USB installs can be tricky, so you may have to format it as bootable before continuing with these steps or follow the live usb install first and then once setup, reinstall with full disk encryption

http://docs.kali.org/installation/kali-linux-live-usb-install

http://docs.kali.org/installation/kali-linux-encrypted-disk-install

Somewhere is a blog post on how to do the full disk encryption to USB in one step as well, just don't have it handy.

I prefer VMs (VirtualBox personally).

I still feel hard disk installs for BT/Kali are not recommended, because it is tweaked for pen testing, not an every day OS.

Dual boot is another option if you want to sacrifice the hard disk space, I would set the boot loader to load my primary OS first instead of Kali though.

USB Stick may be slow due to transfer speeds, and you would need at least an 8 GB+ USB stick.

Heh, my everyday work laptop runs Kali natively. I have windows converted to a vm inside that. My laptop has two mini pci wifi cards, the stock broadcom and an atheros clone. I've added a normal non-root user, so I'm not running as root all the time. It works for me, and I know the risks, but it's more convenient than installing stock debian, then compiling whatever I may need.