Karma will not start

Digitalia

After fixing the sslstrip issue by removing and re-installed twisted-web using opkg, karma won't seem to start. It actually worked until I restarted the pineapple.

Not sure what I can do to give you guys any diagnostic messages in order to pinpoint the issue. Any pointers?

Edit: so trying to run /etc/init.d/karma start returns the following error:

"Failed to connect to hostapd - wpa_ctrl_open: No such file or directory"

Attempting to reinstall hostapd doesn't fix the issue.

Edited by Digitalia

having the same issue.

when I got my pineapple and first booted it client mode worked fine even on wpa2 and Karma worked. after trying sslstrip everything stopped working. I did a reset system defaults and now starting client mode it says not connected refreshing in 10 seconds but if i close that window and click show public ip on the network box it does have one and i can use the bar, and if i try to start karma i get the same error "Failed to connect to hostapd - wpa_ctrl_open: No such file or directory"

UPDATE

after a bit more playing I figure that I can start karma as long as it's the first thing I do after a reset but if i bring up the other wlan or try client mode I can no longer start karma

Edited by jjd

ya ill give it a try with ics from my laptop. Ive just been playing with client mode as I can see that being very useful in the field

the weird part is client mode seems to work in that it connect gets an ip and gives the system internet as well as my laptop on eth0 but the web ui does not seem to know it works... the only evidence is show public ip

Edited by jjd

SSH into the pineapple (putty will work).

Login

opkg remove twisted-web

opkg install twisted-web

Then you should test to make sure it works by using python (or just trying to run something like sslstrip)

python

>> import twisted.web

if it does so without exceptions, twisted web is installed.

However, if karma won't start, you may have another issue altogether.

While ssh'd in, try this

/etc/init.d/karma start

See what the error is.

Edited by Digitalia

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing a similar issues with Karma not starting

When I try to start it from the command line I get:

root@Pineapple:~# /etc/init.d/karma restart
Failed to connect to hostapd - wpa_ctrl_open: No such file or directory
Worked fresh out of the box, Installed some packages, rebooted config looked blank, couldn't start karma. Reloaded the device things started working.

Add to to that..

Connect to a wireless network.. karma stops.. won't reload even after reboot

Edited by wirecutter

From factory reload, if I start wlan0 first and connect to a wireless network, karma never starts again.. Same Failed to connect... if I do a factory reload and start karma first thing.. karma starts.. then stops once you connect to a wireless network.

Known issue, fix is underway.

• 3 months later...