Some Questions About The WiFi Pineapple (Before I Buy)

Enigma83

Right now I'm looking at the sales page for the Pineapple. I'm just not sure whether I should go with the Standard, Pro, or Elite version. Elite says it's not pre-drilled or pre-assembled, and quite frankly I'm not the best when it comes to assembling electronics. I already bought an Alfa AWUS036NHA awhile back from Amazon, and it came with a 5 dBi and 9 dBi antenna. Is the 7 dBi panel antenna really necessary? What about the USB power cable? I'm assuming it can be powered via either USB plugged into my laptop or an AC adapter plugged into the wall. And the battery pack? I also don't think the case is absolutely necessary. But the one thing that really gets me is the option that says "4GB USB Storage". I'm pretty sure the Pineapple already comes with a USB port, and I have plenty of USB drives laying around. Is it referring to 4 GB of internal storage, or the ability to interface with USB drives? Can someone clarify exactly what this means? Thanks for any help!

Right now I'm looking at the sales page for the Pineapple. I'm just not sure whether I should go with the Standard, Pro, or Elite version. Elite says it's not pre-drilled or pre-assembled, and quite frankly I'm not the best when it comes to assembling electronics. I already bought an Alfa AWUS036NHA awhile back from Amazon, and it came with a 5 dBi and 9 dBi antenna. Is the 7 dBi panel antenna really necessary? What about the USB power cable? I'm assuming it can be powered via either USB plugged into my laptop or an AC adapter plugged into the wall. And the battery pack? I also don't think the case is absolutely necessary. But the one thing that really gets me is the option that says "4GB USB Storage". I'm pretty sure the Pineapple already comes with a USB port, and I have plenty of USB drives laying around. Is it referring to 4 GB of internal storage, or the ability to interface with USB drives? Can someone clarify exactly what this means? Thanks for any help!

To answer some of your questions (I am a long time pineapple owner my self), being that you already have an alfa awus036nha, and think the pelican case is a little overkill i would maybe consider the travel bundle. The 7dBi antenna is more of just an extra option to have should you want a directional transmission. The pineapple its self can be powered via the wall adepter or you could use the usb power cable to power it from say your laptop (as i do) or a battery pack. The pineapple has 1 usb port on it, but is expandable with a powered usb hub. The 4GB of storage is referring to a sandisk cruzer fit flash drive that comes with the elite bundle. The pineapple has very little internal storage. But a note on flash drives, the "pineapple juice" battery pack sometimes dosent output enough power to sustain a flash drive thus rendering the flash drive useless in a battery powered operation. My best advice to you would be to maybe look into the travel bundle. It comes with the pineapple its self, a pineapple juice battery pack, a usb power cable, retractable Ethernet cable, booklet on the pineapple, wall adepter for the pineapple, and all the little heads for the battery pack charging cable and a wall adepter to charge the battery pack and some stickers. I bought the wifi pineapple stranded a while back and bought the alfa radio separately. Then decided to get another pineapple and purchased the travel bundle as it is very portable easy to conceal, and is better the having my pineapple loose in say my pocket or backpack.

Agreed the travel bundle contains everything that you will need to get started. If you need to get a flash drive, and I recommend you do, you should just go with a micro sd card in a micro sd to usb adapter they are low powered and efficient I've been running mine for about 4 months now with no issues what so ever!

Thanks for all the responses. I decided to go all in. I bought the travel bundle, 7 dBi panel antenna, USB-powered hub, USB rubber ducky deluxe, and micro-USB to micro-USB OTG cable. It all came out to around $200 after shipping, all together I was able to get more for my money than what the Elite kit alone would have gotten me (plus everything included in that kit). I dont know how to use all this, but I've been messing around in Ubuntu/Linux Mint and Kali for awhile, and that's what sparked my interest in whitehat hacking/Internet security/networking. Soon I'll be installing Arch alongside Windows 8, Windows Server 2012, and Mint. With what I've got now I'd say it will last awhile before I make more purchases, this should give me alot to learn from for many months to come. But if anyone can recommend any other purchases (here or elsewhere) that would be helpful in my journey then clue me in. What I lack in experience and knowledge I more than make up for with a willingness to learn.

Edited by Enigma83

I agree with Foxtrot, I learned almost everything i know now from the pineapple, I knew absolutely nothing about networking when i bought it, it was just a cool toy a friend recommended. And now i am studying for my Network+. It is not only a cool thing to have but a very helpful learning tool.

I just got my Pineapple in the mail and am going to put it to use by reading up on some tutorials and practicing a bit. But there was one thing wrong with my order..........it didnt come with the 50 page booklet. The Travel Bundle is really just the Standard version of the Pineapple, so I figure it should have one as a courtesy. I found a PDF copy for download on the sales site. But I still prefer to have a paper copy. Who do I contact about this? Thanks!

Edited by Enigma83