Programming motivations?

nvemb3r

I'm not going to say I'm a professional programmer (I'm not even an employed professional, never had been), but I have picked up the concepts of procedural, object oriented programming, and tagging. I picked some languages up (not fluent in anything), and go to BBSs when I run into trouble (very reluctant to do so though).

Aside from school work in the past, and some online tutorials, I've never gotten any real objectives as to what to do with the knowledge. I know that you write programs, but I'm unsure about what to make. Plus among those in my AFK social circle, I'm the only one interested in the subject. While I would like to contribute to open source projects, I'm not the most confident when it comes to making those sorts of contributions.

How do you guys stay motivated to code and maintain your skills when you don't have a real goal to achieve them with? I'm not sure if other people have hit this "wall" or if I'm just being lazy.

I've been programming since I was 11 or 12. I started out in java but after taking half a computer programming class my language of choice is python for sure. What keeps me motivated to program is the thrill of working hard on something and getting it to work. Designing it from nothing into something. Doesn't even have to be something entirely useful (check out my uno game lol). I guess I just program for the fun I find in it. Also I am lucky that I have some friends interested in the same subject, this is only 2 at most who are able to write any code beyond simple HTML but its still nice to have. I also really like to try new things with my code, write something one way and make it work another, and even translate it between multiple languages. I get days even weeks where I don't feel like writing any code (going through a week right now) but something will spark my interest soon and I will be right back at it 16 hours a day!

Edited by newbi3

To succeed in any field, you need to have the passion, dedication and above all, you must enjoy what you do.

Join a local hackerspace or find a programming meetup in you area. Or find an open source project that you care about and get involved.

In my experience, most open source projects have very newbie-friendly communities. If you're willing to contribute they will train you on how to get started and coach you on writing code that meets their standards.

I hate the runescape private server community but you could download a server and client source from a forums and begin working on a decent project. They're all a** holes over there but its a good way to get better at programming.

Join a local hackerspace or find a programming meetup in you area. Or find an open source project that you care about and get involved.

In my experience, most open source projects have very newbie-friendly communities. If you're willing to contribute they will train you on how to get started and coach you on writing code that meets their standards.

There is a hackerspace, but its about 35 miles away from my home, plus my day job ties up my schedule. I'm trying to get it all sorted out though. I'll look into open source projects for things I'm using right now.