Cannot max txpower on AWUS036NHA - CAN max AWUS036H?

Zephyr

Ok no matter what I do or what command I execute, I cannot get the AWUS036NHA to goto 30dBm. On the other hand I can set my AWUS036H to 30dBm. In the advanced section, I bring the card down. Commands issued:

ifconfig wlan1 down

iw reg set BO

iwconfig wlan1 txpower 30

ifconfig wlan1 up

All of these commands take without a hitch and without error. I then run iwconfig to check the power. The most the 'NHA' will go to is 20dBm, yet I can set the 'H' Alfa to 30dBm. In fact I cannot even bring the power down on the NHA, say to like 10dBm. I've search and read about every post on the topic. What gives?

Every country has it's own regulations and protocols regarding how much power an adapter can legally transmit.

You may be able to change that, by choosing a different county other than your own country.

Also make sure, your adapter is disabled and not operational.

ifconfig wlan0 down

and

airmon-ng wlan0 stop

Hey Infiltrator, I did try all that. In my post above I noted the commands I issued to the card before trying to change its txpower, such as changing the regulatory domain (iw reg) to someplace lke Bolivia (set BO). And the card was brought down and non-functioning before making these changes were issued. Regardless of the commands issued, the card is either at 0dBm or 20dBm, no high or lower.

As Petertfm said in another post, apparently the card cannot be set to any higher than 20dBm when interfaced through the Pineapple. (with the awus036h you can). What I don't understand is why I cannot even set it to a lower power, say, 15 or 10dBm either :wacko: Just so you know, I'm issuing these commands in the Pineapple UI, not BT or Linux.

Edited by Zephyr

Hey Infiltrator, I did try all that. In my post above I noted the commands I issued to the card before trying to change its txpower, such as changing the regulatory domain (iw reg) to someplace lke Bolivia (set BO). And the card was brought down and non-functioning before making these changes were issued. Regardless of the commands issued, the card is either at 0dBm or 20dBm, no high or lower.

As Petertfm said in another post, apparently the card cannot be set to any higher than 20dBm when interfaced through the Pineapple. (with the awus036h you can). What I don't understand is why I cannot even set it to a lower power, say, 15 or 10dBm either :wacko: Just so you know, I'm issuing these commands in the Pineapple UI, not BT or Linux.

It seems to be a driver issue. We have it on our list to investigate.

• 10 months later...