list good free hosting services

Interweb

Ive used these free providers in the past, there are many more options on google: "Free Web hosting"

Hosting:

http://www.000webhost.com/

DNS:

http://freedns.afraid.org

Free web hosting services are always quite low on resources, you may want to evaluate hosting providers.

It only costs an average of $2-3 month to host a small website and database, together with a domain and email.

Personally, free hosts, don't mean much for me. Almost all of them put ads on their sites, or embed other tracking data into their sites in exchange for free services, and most of them, are craptastic with what you can install or run on them.

I want to pay for my site, because I want a reputable company for customer service, uptime, security, and the services I need, such as shell access and complete control over files, ability to run different scripting languages, and more. Most free hosts, only give you a limited amount of space, and usually no ability to create your own databases, install a CMS, or run PHP, ruby, perl, etc.

Not to be cliché, but you get what you pay for, and when you pay for nothing, you usually get nothing as well, including no security or guarantees. Just my 2 cents.

Agreed with digip. If the site you're creating is to be professional at all, you gotta pay. It was easy and fun for me to roll my own, mostly because I just wanted to learn about the LAMP process. I've since stopped it because I just don't give a shit (hence why telot.org is a crappy website). Is there something stopping you from doing that? That way you have total control of everything (you own the hardware, the bandwidth, the software - everything is on your home machine).

So the real question is, what kind of site are you aiming at creating interweb?

Edited by telot

I occasionally use webs.com, for uploading images and other files I make available when I am helping people on forums. I've been using it for a while which is OK for what I do, but it does have some limitations, which can only be removed if you upgrade your free account.

Alternatively, you can also setup your own webserver and host it from home. That's what I used to do, but can be challenging sometimes to administer it, whereas if you pay for a private hosting company, you get all those burdens taken away from you.

• 7 months later...