[BUG] USB drive forcing reboot.

jcc10

Now let me start off and say this might be user error, if so you may want to update the the wiki.

• Hardware Version: Mark IV
  • Firmware Version: See Below
  • What the problem is. In detail: See Below
  • If it is repeatable: Yes (Plug one of the listed USB's in)
  • Any error messages or helpful log output: See References
  • What is running on the pineapple at the time of the bug: Differs
  • Any fixes you have discovered: Downgrading firmware has helped some.

Now on to the issue:

Something that has just happened to me is I got a USB drive and set it up with a SWAP partition a data partition Etc. When I plug it in the device will ether reboot, or not recognise the entire drive, forcing me to reboot, when it does reboot the WPS light just flashes and the power light is on, other than that it is a brick, you can power-cycle it (after removing the USB drive) and it returns to normal operating status, I have no Idea why it is doing this but it is getting annoying quickly. Now what some have done is downgrade the firmware, if I know of a firmware that works for a usb drive I will list it neat to the drive.

List of dirves:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Arnap5k8HCLydHdHbnFhbTh0N0FaLXRaU0w3NnIzTWc

Google drive so I can make it look nice

I have no others to list, but there are others, please tell me what one you have and please (if you can) give wattage/voltage incase that may be the problem, if a mod wants to take control of the document PM me.

References:

http://forums.hak5.o...usb-port-issue/

http://forums.hak5.o..._hl__+usb +port

I will try to edit this when I find out more...

Edited by jcc10

have you issued the "mkswap /dev/sda2" cmd in the advanced tab?

Well Dear sir/madam I would really like to do that but cant due to the pineapple rebooting when I insert the USB drive, I have attempted to partition it in quite a few ways one of them having a Linux swap partition when I insert it, It has yet to run proper.

You may have meant this all as given but im just gona give Occam's razor the credit its due. Have formatted to Ext4? What OS are you using, and how are you formatting? last simple solution i could think of is have you changed the config swap to 1? (don't need USB to be plugged in to do this). if it aint these then we ser are in the same boat.

I fixed the reboot problem by going over these features and now it reads the USB ( the light goes on, and it shows the device in the USB section of the web GUI) but its not expanding the disk space in the resources section.

And its Mr. Scanner.

Edited by Scanner Martel

Dear Mr. Scanner.

I am using a windows tool called mini tool partition wizard( Home Ed.), it formats in Ext4 and Linux swap partitions (among others)

I did three tests if you would like to look at the results (Put in spoilers so I don't kill the page)

Test 1:

USB: Ext4 12.90GB ; Ext4 2.00GB

PINEAPPLE:
config global automount
option from_fstab 1
option anon_mount 1
config global autoswap
option from_fstab 1
option anon_swap 0
config mount
option target /usb
option device /dev/sda1
option fstype ext4
option options rw,sync
option enabled 1
option enabled_fsck 0
config swap
option device /dev/sda2
option enabled 1
RESULT:
USB on
WPS flashes
"Reboot"
Power & lan on
Power on ; wps & USB usage(On usb) flashes

Test 2:

USB: Unallocated/No Partition 14.91GB
PINEAPPLE:
config global automount
option from_fstab 1
option anon_mount 1
config global autoswap
option from_fstab 1
option anon_swap 0
config mount
option target /usb
option device /dev/sda1
option fstype ext4
option options rw,sync
option enabled 1
option enabled_fsck 0
config swap
option device /dev/sda2
option enabled 0
RESULT:
FUNCTIONS NORMALY (Cant do a swap though)

Test 3:

USB: Ext4 (2kb block); Ext4 (2kb block)

Pineapple:
config global automount
option from_fstab 1
option anon_mount 1
config global autoswap
option from_fstab 1
option anon_swap 0
config mount
option target /usb
option device /dev/sda1
option fstype ext4
option options rw,sync
option enabled 1
option enabled_fsck 0
config swap
option device /dev/sda2
option enabled 1
Result:
Wont show up, then after a reboot it goes into flashy light mode.

Now if you notice I am getting it to run, if it partitions it, tomorrow (Friday) I am going to attempt to run Linux to solve this...

Be Back Soon

Jcc10

Edited by jcc10

Well that did not work, I ran Ubuntu in a VM, and re-partitioned the USB drive, it refused to mkswap, it would accept the command then freeze the SSH connection, this is turning out to be really finicky so if a DEV would like to come on here I would really like to have some official input here.

Really annoyed JCC10

(PS: I have spent over 48 hours lurking the forums looking for fixes for this... still looking.)

Well that did not work, I ran Ubuntu in a VM, and re-partitioned the USB drive, it refused to mkswap, it would accept the command then freeze the SSH connection, this is turning out to be really finicky so if a DEV would like to come on here I would really like to have some official input here.

Really annoyed JCC10

(PS: I have spent over 48 hours lurking the forums looking for fixes for this... still looking.)

Make swap command is issued on the pineapple. Some issues in the past with thumb drives was some partition programs would create partitions in sda5 and sda6 instead of sda1 and sda2

Make swap command is issued on the pineapple. Some issues in the past with thumb drives was some partition programs would create partitions in sda5 and sda6 instead of sda1 and sda2

I GIVE UP I have just somehow broke a USB drive ( I don't know how...) it keeps on stating BAD DISK on one program and on Ubun I cant reformat it... If someone has a fix for me please tell me. I am done with this...

Dev please come help.

Jcc10

I was also using mini tool partition and tried it on an ubuntu 11.10 VM. Didnt work. Partitioning went well. But now plugging in the USB brings me right back to a dropped connection and the flashing WPS light. This should not be this flipping tedious/ impossible!

Edited by Scanner Martel

@ jcc10. You got anything in your log that says whats going on. I wana see if theres some overlap

My log

00:00:39 Pineapple kern.info kernel: [ 11.690000] USB Mass Storage support registered.
00:00:39 Pineapple kern.info kernel: [ 11.680000] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
00:00:39 Pineapple kern.info kernel: [ 11.680000] Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
00:00:39 Pineapple kern.info kernel: [ 11.560000] uhci_hcd: USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver
00:00:39 Pineapple kern.info kernel: [ 11.440000] ohci_hcd: USB 1.1 'Open' Host Controller (OHCI) Driver
00:00:39 Pineapple kern.info kernel: [ 11.310000] hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
00:00:39 Pineapple kern.info kernel: [ 11.310000] hub 1-0:1.0: 1 port detected
00:00:39 Pineapple kern.info kernel: [ 11.310000] ehci-platform ehci-platform: USB 2.0 started, EHCI 1.00
00:00:39 Pineapple kern.info kernel: [ 11.290000] ehci-platform ehci-platform: irq 3, io mem 0x1b000000
00:00:39 Pineapple kern.info kernel: [ 11.250000] ehci-platform ehci-platform: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
00:00:39 Pineapple kern.info kernel: [ 11.250000] ehci-platform ehci-platform: Generic Platform EHCI Controller
00:00:39 Pineapple kern.err kernel: [ 37.450000] Error: Driver 'gpio-keys-polled' is already registered, aborting...
00:00:39 Pineapple kern.debug kernel: [ 34.700000] ieee80211 phy0: Selected rate control algorithm 'minstrel_ht'
00:00:39 Pineapple kern.debug kernel: [ 34.700000] Registered led device: ath9k-phy0
00:00:39 Pineapple kern.debug kernel: [ 34.690000] ath: doing EEPROM country->regdmn map search
00:00:39 Pineapple kern.debug kernel: [ 34.690000] ath: country maps to regdmn code: 0x37
00:00:39 Pineapple kern.debug kernel: [ 34.690000] ath: Regpair used: 0x37
00:00:39 Pineapple kern.debug kernel: [ 34.690000] ath: EEPROM regdomain: 0x833a
00:00:39 Pineapple kern.debug kernel: [ 34.690000] ath: EEPROM indicates we should expect a country code
00:00:39 Pineapple kern.debug kernel: [ 34.690000] ath: Country alpha2 being used: GB

Edited by Scanner Martel

• 3 weeks later...