Problem with youtube videos on Ubuntu

JimJensen

I have searched the internet for the answer but didn't find a fix. I am running ubuntu 12.04. When I am watching a flash video on youtube or any other site and close the broswer (FireFox) the video continues to play. I can't see the video but I can hear the audio. The only way I can get it to stop is to open a terminal and issue "killall firefox". I thought it was a FireFox problem so I installed Opera and I have the same problem. I am guessing it must be a flash problem. I removed and reinstalled flash but that didn't fix it either. I have two laptops one running Unbuntu 12.04 and one running BackTrack R3 and I don't have this problem on either of them. I am guessing I must have installed something I shouldn't have on my desktop which is causing this problem.

Sounds to me like a buffering problem. If the video continues to play after browser closes it seems like its trying to unload it. I'd personally start with the following:

1. Mozilla is up to date

2. Flash plugin is up to date

3. If that fails, consider removing Mozilla and reload.

Some videos on YouTUBE are not even flash any more, they are WebM video, so you might hear the audio and not see the video if you don't have the latest html5 browser and codecs, but in general, Flash on Linux is a crap shoot and YouTUBE is troublesome even on Windows at times. Id say most likely your flash is out of date though, and I don't know if the people that maintain it for Linux keep up to date with all the patch releases, since Adobe seems to put out a new Flash player every month these days. I've used Opera on Linux in the past and Flash seems to work fine under Opera for me with no issues though, so may be FireFox is out of date. Try an alternative browser, see if the issue still exists. If so, then I'd say its your port of flash that you are using. I've gotten Opera to run on BackTrack and uBuntu with no issues, so shouldn't be a problem getting it installed. I use the gz files to install from vs the deb and rpm files, and it works without a hitch for me. I personally can't stand FF, but thats just my opinion..

Personally I use Google Chrome, never had any glitches with it. You might want to install it and give it a try.

Personally I use Google Chrome, never had any glitches with it. You might want to install it and give it a try.

Google actually has their own version of Flash built into chrome from what I understand, but personally I don't trust Chrome in general. As far as I'm concerned, Chrome is user installed spyware. lol