Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

murder_face

Katana problem

Has anyone else killed their flashdrive installing Katana on it? Everything seemed to be going fine, next thing I know I'm having a bunch of errors so I cancelled out of everything and wanted to start over. Now my flash drive is read-only. Tried editing fstab and pretty much everything else I could google. Nothing worked. When I mount the drive in windows the label is "portableapps.com". I figure it's probably because I used a cheap-o drive, but thought I would ask if anyone had similar problems.

Do you have a sandisk flash drive?

Did you purchase it in the last 9 months?

No, it's an hp 165r 16gb. It looks like it's actually manufactured by PNY though.

hhmm well i know sandisk had an issue a bit back. I have a bad PNY one -- i would just call them / rma it. the should send you out a new one pretty easily

hhmm well i know sandisk had an issue a bit back. I have a bad PNY one -- i would just call them / rma it. the should send you out a new one pretty easily

I figure after the holidays I will send it in, for now I just went and bought another one. They are on sale for $9 so it doesn't hurt too bad. I just think it's weird that installing katana on it killed it. I used to keep backtrack on it and had no problems. The only bit of progress I have been able to make is with fsck.vfat and even after I try to repair it says "filesystem unchanged"

/PortableApps/ClamWinPortable
Contains a free cluster (1026232). Assuming EOF.
/PortableApps/7-ZipPortable/App/DefaultData
Contains a free cluster (1026062). Assuming EOF.
/PortableApps/7-ZipPortable/App/readme.txt
Contains a free cluster (1026066). Assuming EOF.
/PortableApps/7-ZipPortable/App/readme.txt
File size is 171 bytes, cluster chain length is 0 bytes.
Truncating file to 0 bytes.
/PortableApps/7-ZipPortable/App/7-Zip
Contains a free cluster (1026067). Assuming EOF.
/PortableApps/7-ZipPortable/App/7-Zip64/7z.dll
Contains a free cluster (1025920). Assuming EOF.
/PortableApps/7-ZipPortable/App/7-Zip64/7z.dll
File size is 1422336 bytes, cluster chain length is 434176 bytes.
Truncating file to 434176 bytes.
/PortableApps/7-ZipPortable/App/7-Zip64/descript.ion
Contains a free cluster (1026041). Assuming EOF.
/PortableApps/7-ZipPortable/App/7-Zip64/descript.ion
File size is 333 bytes, cluster chain length is 0 bytes.
/PortableApps/7-ZipPortable/App/7-Zip64/7z.sfx
Contains a free cluster (1026042). Assuming EOF.
/PortableApps/7-ZipPortable/App/7-Zip64/7z.sfx
File size is 162816 bytes, cluster chain length is 0 bytes.
Free cluster summary wrong (1373793 vs. really 1373997)
[/CODE]

If anyone is interested, I exchanged my flash drive today for an identical one, and it worked this time. Still had some weird issues. For some reason I couldn't run bootinstall.sh in linux. I tried changing ownership and permissions. In the end I had to fire up XP in virtualbox and run bootinstall.bat to get it to work. I'm not sure if it matters, but I didn't follow the exact instructions when I killed the first flash drive, or the second time when it worked. Rather than extracting straight to the flash drive the first time I just copy and pasted in gnome. The second time I used "mv" from the terminal.