A+ 801 and 802

murder_face

I know there is a lot of talk around here about CCNA and such, but I am getting ready to take my lowly A+. I have found a lot of free study guides for the 700 series of the tests, and bought the Meyers A+ study guide which I am almost done with. So far the only thing I am struggling with are processor slots and sockets. I know you sign an agreement or something not to talk about the test, but I was wondering how heavily this is tested on in the tests. Also, does anyone that have any pointers before I go plop down $300? Thanks

I can send ya some .png images... might total to about 1,000 plus images... but I have the book; physically and electronically. :)

EDIT: The test is easy peasy... I had fun with the processing end of things. I drew a picture by hand when I was studying it. Buses, Northbridge, Southbridge, etc. were slightly confusing; but in comparison with programming... this is a cake walk.

Edited by Pwnd2Pwnr

The only hint I think I can give you is know how laser printers work. I remember the acronym "Charlie Can Walk, Dance, and Talk French" for "Cleaning, Conditioning, Writing, Developing, Transferring, Fusing". It wouldn't hurt to know the voltages associated with laser printers and what would cause different printing problems with laser printers. Also, know the upgrade paths. I'd go through upgrading from 98 to 7, just to be sure. I'm not saying that this is going to be on the test, but it probably wouldn't hurt to know that information.

Look up intel and amd socket types and what CPU's go into each. Google and Wikipedia should be able to cover most of that for you. I don't recall it being heavily covered other than some of the differences on the bus lanes between 32 and 64 bit systems, but the test is a generalization of what really is to be learned, and if anything, most study guides will get you through the test. The real learning, comes from building a machine, and knowing what hardware to buy to go with what components, and thats something you should get in a hands on class, but if not taking a class, pick up an old pc at a garage sale, or curbside trash, tear it down, clean everything and put it back together and see if it works. A+ test is not as hard as people think it is, and its all multiple choice for the most part with a few compute simulated put this part in the correct slot type deal. Its fairly straight forward, and most any A+ study guide will get you through it. Few things to know how to do and differences to understand on newer tests, how to install XP, Vista and 7, and the difference between the older XP ntloader and newer Vista/7 boot loaders, might be on the test. If you've got any A+ books now based on the latest test, just google for the stuff that doesn't make sense, and you should be fine.