Pubilc talk about hackers

jcc10

This is about a publilc talk on why the US goverment needs white hat hackers, that I happend to go to.

I made this video not thinking of posting it here, and then I made a acount to post it here.

Video:

Cyber test: www.cyberfoundations.org

(not part of the program but by the same group)

Cyber quests: uscc.cyberquests.org

Edited by jcc10

I am just posting the video, if some one else has citations that would be great! Also updated OP to add a link to the hacker challenge.

Who's to say they don't have them?

What do you mean we have "them" you mean a thousand world class hackers?

Edited by jcc10

Just a wild guess here, but maybe the reason somewhere like China has so many talented "hackers" is because they have an excellent education system who's students nearly always rank #1 in the world regardless of the subject, not because they send their kids to some weird cyber defense summer camp.

Edited by bobbyb1980

Just a wild guess here, but maybe the reason somewhere like China has so many talented "hackers" is because they have an excellent education system who's students nearly always rank #1 in the world regardless of the subject, not because they send their kids to some weird cyber defense summer camp.

I did not post this for political debates, this is simply a nice way of getting a scholarship to (some) collages for doing hacking of all things, at the meting the person from the FBI asked my mother if I would be interested at a payed internship when I am old enough, so this may help a lot of young (and not as young) hackers in getting jobs.

Edited by jcc10

I think this can tie into what Darren was venting about. I think part of why it's hard to find quality hackers...erm cyber security experts...here in the US is mostly because of the stigma that goes with the word. "Oh you're a hacker. You must be a criminal." Who wants to openly admit you have a skill or would like to have a skill when your society is just going to look at you as if you were some evil television like mastermind who steals identities and breaks into heavily secured gov't systems in mere minutes! LOL I admit that is a bit of over-dramatizing but you get my point. In the non hacker world, people constantly question your motives. "Why are you trying to exploit this system? Are you planning something nefarious?" "NO, i'm trying to make it more secure." "Yeah sure". The more we can change people minds about hacking and cyber security the better. I compare it to being a locksmith. I've never heard anybody say, "Oh he's a locksmith. Don't make him mad. He might break into your house." As somebody who's always had an interest in the field, it's frustrating at times.

Of course this is just from a security point of view. This doesn't even include hacking from the context of "I want to turn my xbox into a media center" or "can I install linux on this gameboy?" LOL

</rant>

Who wants to openly admit you have a skill or would like to have a skill when your society is just going to look at you as if you were some evil television like mastermind who steals identities and breaks into heavily secured gov't systems in mere minutes! LOL I admit that is a bit of over-dramatizing but you get my point.

well your not over-dramatizing, Except about the part about the mere minutes... But that is the public conception, It seems that this is what is happening:

cia.png

• 2 weeks later...

If I got a foot hold in the DoDs repertoire; it would basically be a dream come true... I think that the Government needs a second line of defense. The Government spends billions of dollars a year on "cyber defense" and we are still considered vulnerable to outside attacks to our nations power grid, police, and even military. Why? That is left open for debate... but I do implore; why not have a series of "professionals" whom sole jobs are to monitor outside traffic with Nation-State tech... then trace back to the offenders... I think they could afford it.