Reliable Way To Retrieve Credentials For Logging In To Router?

OCD

Hey all,

Is there a reliable way to recover the credentials you would need to access a router? I don't mean the network key, but instead the credentials you would use to log in to the router itself. (On my Linksys Router the address is 192.168.1.1 by default)

As I understand it, there are exploits or brute forcing .. but I was hoping for something a bit more elegant.

Thank you!

Well, I had meant the credentials (username and password). I believe that on a small network, an easy way to identify the router's IP would be to simply find the gateway you're using. So, I missed default credentials on my little list at the top :P I didn't really know people are known to leave these as stock!

In any case, is that it? :|

As I understand it, there are exploits or brute forcing .. but I was hoping for something a bit more elegant.

Exploits and brute forcing are one way to get to the router's password, another possible way would be via MITM attack. But this option, could be a bit less effective, because you will have to wait, for the exact time the person logs into the router, in order to get the router's login credentials.

Edited by Infiltrator

If its your router, hit the reset button on the back, login with default creds. If its not yours, ask the owner for the password....if you want to "hack" the router, look up how to use tftp to overwrite firmware or retrieve them from some models and dump the memory or default creds. I think int0x80 even posted something on the forums about this once.

http://www.routerpasswords.com/

Edited by digip

If you want to erase the nvram (clears all settings including the password) do a 30/30/30 reset. Hold the reset button for 30 seconds, Turn the router off and hold it for 30 seconds, Turn it back on and hold it for another 30 seconds. You could also look into DNS rebinding.

Edited by cscash241

Well, I had meant the credentials (username and password). I believe that on a small network, an easy way to identify the router's IP would be to simply find the gateway you're using. So, I missed default credentials on my little list at the top :P I didn't really know people are known to leave these as stock!

In any case, is that it? :|

most people leave them stock, my post links are the stock username and password for nearly every router/brand, and if that fails yes a reset would be easiest way.