Wireless Usb

PC-2011

Hi i got a microsoft broadband networking wireless adapter mn-510 from my grandmother and i want to setup a guest wireless network but its only works on xp and i want to install it on my windows server 2008 r2 that i got from my dads office so i cant find a driver that will be compatible.

Is there an installer/setup program with the device? If so, right click the setup file and chance the compatibility settings, but chances are, its not going to work. If its capable of running under 2008 r2 though, should be able to change the compatibility level, and if XP SP3 isn't listed, see if Server 2003 is, then try the install again. Plugging it in should prompt windows to try and find a driver for it automatically though. If you have no disk, and only the hardware device from your grandmother, check the manufacturers site for its last driver setup program, then see if you can do it natively, then try the compatibility mode if the native fails. Might also have to right click and "run as administrator" to get it to install, just depends on the program and your setup.

but its only works on xp and i want to install it on my windows server 2008 r2.

Well that's the problem, if its only compartible with XP, then you won't be able to get it work on a server OS. Unless there is a driver specifically written for the server at all.

Are you trying to share your internet connection through the server?

yes i want to put a low speed guest wireless network

In this circumstance, I would get a spare computer, if you have one lying around and set it up as a hotspot, instead of using your server which doesn't support your wireless card.