Best Encryption Software?

~*L33T_NiNj4*~

Are you referring to full disk encryption, or things like email encryption, files encryption and stuff like that.

I don't know that there's any such thing as a "best" encryption software. All encryption software falls into one of two categories:

A) The ones that are broken and we know it, and

B) The ones that are broken and we don't know it yet.

That said, GnuPG is pretty trusted.

That said, GnuPG is pretty trusted.

That's what I use sometimes, but since the op hasn't responded to my question, I couldn't suggest it.

That's what I use sometimes, but since the op hasn't responded to my question, I couldn't suggest it.

Sorry Inflitrator i ment file and email encryption not whole disk encryption...

i haven't used this one before, but apparently is really good.

http://www.axantum.com/axcrypt/

Here are some of the features:

Password Protect any number of files using strong encryption.

Right-click integration with Windows Explorer makes AxCrypt the easiest way to encrypt individual files in Windows.

Double-click integration makes it as easy to open, edit and save protected files as it is to work with unprotected files.

Many additional features, but no configuration required. Just install it and use it.

AxCrypt encrypts files that are safely and easily sent to other users via e-mail or any other means. Self-decrypting files are also supported, removing the need to install AxCrypt to decrypt.

AxCrypt is translated into English, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Norwegian, Russian, Polish, Spanish and Swedish so chances are it speaks your preferred language.

OpenPGP (which is PGP and GnuPG) is pretty much the gold standard for email encryption. It can be used for file encryption as well, though TrueCrypt is becoming a bit more popular for that.

In addition to public-key cryptography, GnuPG also implements a number of symmetric algorithms. I get the feeling that Darren is working up to covering PGP and GnuPG in a future episode.

OpenPGP (which is PGP and GnuPG) is pretty much the gold standard for email encryption. It can be used for file encryption as well, though TrueCrypt is becoming a bit more popular for that.

In addition to public-key cryptography, GnuPG also implements a number of symmetric algorithms. I get the feeling that Darren is working up to covering PGP and GnuPG in a future episode.

It would be a great episode to watch, no doubt about it.

• 9 months later...

This is some what on the same topic do they make a third party full disk encryption software that's like truecrypt for linux. so i can encrypt my whole system hard drive. when i install truecrypt on linux it dose not give me the option for full disk encryption like windows.

Edited by poptart

This is some what on the same topic do they make a third party full disk encryption software that's like truecrypt for linux. so i can encrypt my whole system hard drive. when i install truecrypt on linux it dose not give me the option for full disk encryption like windows.

That is because full disk encryption is pointless on a linux machine where you would only need to encrypt your /home directory.

If you want full disk encryption, use an Encrypted LVM when you install.

i was running Encrypted LVM when i first installed linux mint 14 but im deciding if i want to reinstall to run Encrypted LVM. how secure is encrypted lvm?

Pretty secure I would say. No different than any other encryption.

Begs the question, what are you trying to keep safe or hide? ;)

@poptart Virtual machines and Full disk Encryption is the way to go. There's no such thing as an un-crackable encryption scheme. Encryption is just something the guys at Versign Inc. want you to believe. Think about it, even if you managed to setup a AF234003847382CDE2391030940948547583498B2340832489082439238D234F23432E23940 digit pswd it can be cracked using a quantum computer. We're all at the mercy of sophisticated mathematicians.