San Disk (Read-Only)

mreidiv

Ok has anyone had this problem, My sandisk 4 gig randomly goes in to read only, this has happened with several san disk dongles and im tired of buying new ones is there a fix for it? when i bring it up i can see the sda1 sda2 partitions in dev when i try to read from them there is nothing there could it be a bad supperblock? I have tried changing the permissions on both partitions to no avail. If anyone has had this problem and has a fix for it let me know please.

Ok has anyone had this problem, My sandisk 4 gig randomly goes in to read only, this has happened with several san disk dongles and im tired of buying new ones is there a fix for it? when i bring it up i can see the sda1 sda2 partitions in dev when i try to read from them there is nothing there could it be a bad supperblock? I have tried changing the permissions on both partitions to no avail. If anyone has had this problem and has a fix for it let me know please.

I have had two 16gb sandisk cruzer fit's do the same thing. I had them replace the first one under warranty. I haven't tried to get the second one replaced under warranty yet as I really just don't trust these flash drives any longer. I had a spare 2gb lexar hanging around which is what I use now...

i have done a little digging and found out that i have a bad supperblock, now im trying to fix it and recover all my file then i will try a different drive? If anyone has any ideas of what keeps causing it please let me know. Of if you have found an easy fix for it.

Update: I was able to recover the files using "test-disk", will try to reformat it and have a backup ready.

Edited by mreidiv

i have done a little digging and found out that i have a bad supperblock, now im trying to fix it and recover all my file then i will try a different drive? If anyone has any ideas of what keeps causing it please let me know. Of if you have found an easy fix for it.

Update: I was able to recover the files using "test-disk", will try to reformat it and have a backup ready.

Interesting as nothing, including test-disk, worked for me.

Hi,

I have a similar problem with the 4Gb sandisk cruzer, more than a "read-only" problem,

the device became "write-protected" , like if i have pushed a small button to enable this feature, but,

the problem is, there are no button ...

so unable to format again, device is write protected regadless the OS ...

i am using a 4 Gb Lexar usb key and it works perfectly.

My sandisk cruzer fit GB got F**ked up too, somehow it got into that READ ONLY mode, was able to extract my logs but that's it.

Anyone got lucky in reverting it so it can be formatted?

I think i am going to boycott sandisk from now on!

Edited by Molotof

I have given up on the sandisk cruzer, One 8 GB went read only, and a 16GB which would not work in any of my Pineapples, whether it was powered by computer,battery or adapter, but it works in the laptop. I have started using the small Kingston 16 sticks, they are only slightly larger than the cruzer fit.

• 1 month later...

I have run into the same read only issue. I've attempted several fixes such as zeroing out the drive with dd. I chalked it up to a junk drive and moved to another usb drive that has never exibited problems in the past and within 20 minutes of use in the pineapple went read only as well.

Has anyone been able to determine if the USB port is killing the controllers or just an odd string of bad luck?

sandisk had a bad run of sdcards -- like a lot of them people are bitching all over the net - I had 3 different sandisk drive fail on me only thing about them was they where bought about the same time all different models.

I would just buy a different brand -- I have yet to see anyone else with this problem when the uses a different stick.