New Computer Time

IrishFavor

Hey all, it’s that time again. Time to find a new machine however i do have a few requirements that have to be met. It needs to be lightweight and about 13"-14" I do not care about optical drive necessarily. However I do plan on using this for pen testing ect. I will probably use BT5 as my main os and Win7 as a secondary. As such I will most likely be using external antennas or other usb powered devices. However im looking for something that will allow me to creatively connect the devices to it. Most likely they will Velcro to the top of the screen when in use and not attached when not in use. When in use I will be mobile so I would not like to have any docking stations ect.

Now i will need a solution whether it be a usb hub etc. that I can plug in 2-3 usb devices as mentioned above that can be easily attached, though it would be ideal to have rear usb ports. Computers I have considered are 13" MacBook pro, Lenovo ThinkPad X220, Dell XPS13 ultrabook, ASUS Zenbook. If anyone has any incites as to a solution regarding machine or antenna solution it would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone has any photos of similar setups that works for them I would love to check them out.

Thank you and happy hacking.

Im in the same boat, I want a netbook that is 100% bt5 r2 compatible and can dual boot win7 happily. Not having much luck finding a solid answer on the compatibility side of things.

Mainly running Reaver pro, bt5 on USB, alpha adapters, etc...

My Dell Mini 10v is getting a little ruff around the edges to. I have been looking but haven’t found many that excite me. The ASUS Lamborghini is cool looking but a little big for what I want. Also I can see that shiny surface as a fingerprint magnet as well. I wish Dell still made the Mini's. They are great solid netbooks. Mine has been dropped, thrown around in my tech bag, and all around beat up and it still runs great. Its just a little slow and the passive cooling makes it run hot. The Dell Duo looked cool but doesn't have any Ethernet port and only has one USB port. Kind of a deal breaker.

I guess the only real options are Acer or eeePC's. However, Acers feel like playschool toys to me. They just don't seam to be built very well and I have had problems getting replacement parts for eeePC's in the past. The MAC's look cool but there is no way I will give that company a dime. Also MAC's have the same problem with replacement parts. If you need a new keyboard you have to let Apple install it for like $700. Apple will not sell you replacement parts. They only sell parts installed.

I have been thinking about just moving up to a Dell 14" but I really like the netbook form factor. To bad no one makes them anymore. I may just install an SSD in my Dell Mini and call it good.

This is the laptop, I am getting, I know it doesn't meet your requirements but its a great machine, for pen-testing I'd say. One of the things, that I like most about it, is that it comes with an NVIDIA graphics card, with 480 cuda cores, which will help me crack passwords faster.

I'm also going to wipe Windows off and install Backtrack 5. In addition, I will be replacing the HDD with an SSD for optimum performance.

"Intel Core i7 2670QM 2.2Ghz (Turbo 3.1G), Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, mobile Intel HM65 express chipset, 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3 1333MHz, 15.6" LED full-HD (1920 x 1080), 2GB DDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX560M, 2 x 750GB 5400RPM, Bluray writer and more. 2 year hardware warranty, 1 year..."

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1013_1255&products_id=18809

WOW, steep price tag on that baby.

Yeah I know, but it's OK, I can afford it.

My Dell Mini 10v is getting a little ruff around the edges to. I have been looking but haven’t found many that excite me. The ASUS Lamborghini is cool looking but a little big for what I want. Also I can see that shiny surface as a fingerprint magnet as well. I wish Dell still made the Mini's. They are great solid netbooks. Mine has been dropped, thrown around in my tech bag, and all around beat up and it still runs great. Its just a little slow and the passive cooling makes it run hot. The Dell Duo looked cool but doesn't have any Ethernet port and only has one USB port. Kind of a deal breaker.

I guess the only real options are Acer or eeePC's. However, Acers feel like playschool toys to me. They just don't seam to be built very well and I have had problems getting replacement parts for eeePC's in the past. The MAC's look cool but there is no way I will give that company a dime. Also MAC's have the same problem with replacement parts. If you need a new keyboard you have to let Apple install it for like $700. Apple will not sell you replacement parts. They only sell parts installed.

I have been thinking about just moving up to a Dell 14" but I really like the netbook form factor. To bad no one makes them anymore. I may just install an SSD in my Dell Mini and call it good.

Well i have no problem replacing all the parts myself i tend to do that all day on laptops but if it has a warranty i would def send it out and have them do it so as to not void it. and once warranty is up i would do any repairs myself.

This is the laptop, I am getting, I know it doesn't meet your requirements but its a great machine, for pen-testing I'd say. One of the things, that I like most about it, is that it comes with an NVIDIA graphics card, with 480 cuda cores, which will help me crack passwords faster.

I'm also going to wipe Windows off and install Backtrack 5. In addition, I will be replacing the HDD with an SSD for optimum performance.

"Intel Core i7 2670QM 2.2Ghz (Turbo 3.1G), Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, mobile Intel HM65 express chipset, 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3 1333MHz, 15.6" LED full-HD (1920 x 1080), 2GB DDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX560M, 2 x 750GB 5400RPM, Bluray writer and more. 2 year hardware warranty, 1 year..."

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1013_1255&products_id=18809

Def. nice system tho a little expensive, eventually I work part time at a geeksquad and they have the same computer on display for about $1179 so there seams to be about a $700 difference, I would def. shop around if I were you.

Well i have no problem replacing all the parts myself i tend to do that all day on laptops but if it has a warranty i would def send it out and have them do it so as to not void it. and once warranty is up i would do any repairs myself.

Yeah I do to. In fact that’s what I do for a living. The problem is that ASUS eeePC parts are impossible to find even from ASUS. MAC's they are a different story. Apple monopolizes the parts and will not sell them to you. They want to put shops like mine out of buisness and make everyone go to Apple stores to get there Apples fixed. They don't want shops like mine working on Apples.

Yeah I do to. In fact that’s what I do for a living. The problem is that ASUS eeePC parts are impossible to find even from ASUS. MAC's they are a different story. Apple monopolizes the parts and will not sell them to you. They want to put shops like mine out of buisness and make everyone go to Apple stores to get there Apples fixed. They don't want shops like mine working on Apples.

:::puts on flame retardant gear:::

Why would you ever need to replace the keyboard? Despite this, I would still go mac - wait for new 13in macbook pro. It has got the form you want, the horsepower to run multiple vm's of BT5r2 and win7 and is unix.

telot

:::puts on flame retardant gear:::

Why would you ever need to replace the keyboard? Despite this, I would still go mac - wait for new 13in macbook pro. It has got the form you want, the horsepower to run multiple vm's of BT5r2 and win7 and is unix.

telot

As a repair tech I replace keyboards all the time. I have customers that like to drink wine and tea by the computers. I don't complain, it pays the bills. I have never personally had to replace a keyboard on my own system. I just use that as a gauge for harder parts like motherboards.

On the subject of MAC's there are just to many con's just to have a brushed aluminum computer. Its just not worth it. Not even considering replacement parts. The system costs double what a comparable PC costs, the efi bios sucks trying to use it for anything but OSX, finally the biggest part, why give Apple money.

If I am going to spend that kind of cash I would just get an ultrabook. I am a Linux user and have absolutely no desire to run a noob OS like OSX so why waste the money on a system that will make me look like an arrogant prick, no offense but most mac users are not even worth talking to. At least that’s the experience I have had. Present company excluded of course ;-).

FYI, I hope this post doesn't come off as rude, it wasn't intended to be that way. I know that the people reading this are not your average users, Mac or not, so my comments are of course not directed at anyone here. I have just noticed that almost every noob buys a mac as a status symbol. It has nothing to do with the computer and they will argue why they are better until there face turns blue all while not knowing a thing about computers.

The hardware in a mac is old and outdated and goes for a premium price. Also they use parts like Foxcon motherboards. I think Foxcon rates lower then FIC, if not its close. Then these people say that they are expensive because they are high quality. LMAO, the only high quality part on a mac is the case. Everything inside is bottom the the shelf junk. If you don't believe me then open one up. Foxcon motherboards, hynix memory, Toshiba hard drives, and the list goes on. Atleast Dell uses ASUS motherboards and seagate/WD hard drives.

Anyway

</end rant>

:rolleyes: