Hard Drive Help

PC-2011

ok so let me set the scene i have a pile of old sata hard drives and the all have the headers out of line and i dont need them so i start messing with them on my parents old dell(Studio 8gb of ram intel core 2 quade integrated video card) and so i start looking up ways to fix them so i found a way it says to drop if from a 1ft off the ground well that part worked but i cant see it if i try to install an os i can put windows 7 vista ubuntu or xp it dose not show up anywhere. any thoughts on how to reformat the harddrive and get it install and os. thanks for the help

Physical impact or dropping should NOT be a solution. If someone suggests that, they clearly have no clue what they are talking about. If they are old drives, I personally would consider them trash and not use them. They already have plenty of wear and tear on them from years of use and from your drop lol.

Hey PC-2011, this guys (Scott Moulton) is a professional and has a small company that specializes in data recovery and other aspects of computer hard drives failure. He's also done lots of talks on Hacking conferences, I think you should watch his videos.

http://www.myharddrivedied.com/presentations-resources

Edited by Infiltrator

so what harddrive should i get it i need to get a new one i plan to run an email server and maybe a domain and stuff like that?

For servers you should go with SCSI hard drives, they are extremely fast, compared to normal SATA HDDs. If you don't plan investing on a proper server hardware, then the WD Raptor will do just fine. On the other hand, if budget is not an issue, then you should go with SSDs for exceptional performance.

Edited by Infiltrator

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...