Stop Ssid Broadcast While In Karma Mode

ptrac3

As title suggests is there a way to block the ssid broadcast while the MKIV is in Karma mode (just to achieve more stealth) ? Infact also with devices who never seen the MKIV the default "pineapple" (or the changed one) SSID is still broadcasting..

I just change my ssid to something more benign. I think it has to broadcast, or the "clients" won't connect.

Thats how I understand it to work also. I changed mine to "free_wifi" or something similar...I don't want you fellow pineapplers to see "pineapple" show up when you're at the airport with me :D

telot

I just change my ssid to something more benign. I think it has to broadcast, or the "clients" won't connect.

That's intersting maybe i've understood the Jasager functioning method. Infact i thought that regardless of SSID broadcast Jasager intercepts probe request by a client for "wifi" and then with a positive probe response to the client as if to say "hey i'm the ssid wifi, let's talk!" and then the magica happens but with no need of any SSID broadcast..:)ps: i've changed "pineapple" to "freewifi" too..Look so innocuous..:D

Thats how I understand it to work also. I changed mine to "free_wifi" or something similar...I don't want you fellow pineapplers to see "pineapple" show up when you're at the airport with me :D

telot

Ok guys i've solved: i've added "option hidden 1" in /etc/config/wireless so the last part looks like this

option ssid Freewifi
           option encryption none
           option hidden 1

So now ther's no SSID broadcasting..

And Karma still works as before? If so, that's an excellent find!

:::telot goes off to test this:::

I'm still curious as to why you'd want to hide the ssid - having it broadcast pineapple as an ssid is bad, we can all agree. Having it broadcast something like "coffee_shop_wifi" or "free_Wifi" increases your chances of victims connecting, particularly if they don't have a saved open access point on their device. I can't tell you how many times my broadcast ssid (free_wifi) shows up in my karma logs...

telot

And Karma still works as before? If so, that's an excellent find!

:::telot goes off to test this:::

I'm still curious as to why you'd want to hide the ssid - having it broadcast pineapple as an ssid is bad, we can all agree. Having it broadcast something like "coffee_shop_wifi" or "free_Wifi" increases your chances of victims connecting, particularly if they don't have a saved open access point on their device. I can't tell you how many times my broadcast ssid (free_wifi) shows up in my karma logs...

telot

That's true infact i'm just testing..However i think in some situation even "Free wifi" or "CoffeShop" could increase the suspect... In fact if in some public places you are usually to see one or two known public Wifi AP you may become curious if "Free Wifi" or "CoffeShop" suddenly pop out when you are not used to see them..Maybe it's because i live in Italy, just few public AP's out there..:(

However Karma seems to be fully working even with the hidden SSID..

• 1 year later...

Just to add a little fun to this conversation, I recently discovered that if you have more than one instance of the option ssid "fun name here" in the /etc/config/wireless file the pineapple with broadcast multiple ssids and will allow connections from any selected. What better way to increase your chance of a bite than to have more than one lure on the line.

Most of the time I dread it when people dredge up old threads - but in this case its awesome! Very interesting discovery there skimpniff! Is there an upper limit to how many ssid's you can add in /etc/config/wireless? As you said, its a great opportunity to increase your chances of landing someone "on purpose", as opposed to karma'ing them. Very cool

telot