Scp, Ssh And Sftp Fun Times

uberprinnyakatux

Okay we have a php script that runs to copy backups to our local server at work from the live servers. We were having issues getting it to copy the full file over, it would hang and stop halfway through. So we tried to use the straight scp command and we get the command saying "stalled" then eventually it will fail all together. Some times we can copy a bunch of them this way but then it will stop. We also can connect using filezilla and sftp and we can copy as much as we want.

What can we try, or what information would you need. We think it is on our end, we recently replaced the modem since it kept dropping our connection. We know it is not the servers themselves since we had the same issue even after upgrading on both ends. On the remote end are beefy web servers and no bandwidth cap. We tried doing a bit of research but did not find too much on the issue. Only thing we found was running it on a different port and I think the results were the same.

Thanks in advanced and let me know if you need more information.

Shane O.

Have you considered using a proper Backup software solution?

Have you considered using a proper Backup software solution?

Hello Infiltrator,

Not really sure, we use rdiff-backup to generate the backups. I think there is a reason for us doing things this way and the person I would have to ask is out of the office until Monday.

Thanks,

Shane O.

rsync -avrz --ignore-existing /folder/folder/folder username@whatever.com:/folder/folder/folder

Done!

telot

Hello,

Thanks for the help, I used rsync like telot suggested however, different options. We were using a php script to copy the backups from the webserver to our local machine for backing up, and turns out there is another issue with the scp command within that ( I did not write that php script it was what the boss had been using for quite a long time ). However along with the php issue we found that the QOS on our router was to blame. Not sure 100% at what would have caused that but we are able to reliably use scp through command line. So I rewrote what he had as a bash script and things seem to be going smooth "knock on wood". Many thanks to Infiltrator and Telot.

Thanks,

Shane O.