Server 2008 R2

G-Stress

Having a bit of a problem with RRAS and server 2k8R2. The server itself is in the garage and I set up RRAS last year I believe and can only run the server in the winter time. (no A/C in the garage) I can't remember exactly how I configured it. The issue now is I'm trying to setup radius for my wireless connections and vpn connections. However when I start the RRAS service it kills the network access. I can't ping the server or nothing.

I'm thinking it may be something with NPS, but it's been so long ago when I set it up originally just for VPN connections due the summer/fall temps we've had. The server is not assigning IP's I have Untangle running on another box the does DHCP. Is this a policy setting I'm overlooking?

1) Are you able to tell if the network card light at the back remains lit, when the service RRAS is started?

2) How did you set up the TCP/IP settings on the NIC itself static/dynamic?

3) Is ISA and RRAS running at the same time? Only one service is required at once?

I'm not too familiar with ISA, I've never messed with that before. How can I tell if that is running? I've set this up before, but not messing with it for about a year I'm rusty. I'll check if the nic light goes out, however as soon as I start the service "something" gets assigned an APIPA address, but the server itself is static. It is setup as a domain controller and all and I can talk to it just fine until I start RRAS. Then pings time out and everything. Soon as I stop RRAS I can talk to it again.

I did notice some default policies were set to deny access, but I even set all polices to enable access and disabled all policies except for the default VPN policy. I just installed wireshark also. I'll take a look tomorrow at what happens when I enable and disable RRAS, hopefully that will help too.

The only thing I have to go off as far as the event viewer is once the RRAS service is started it spits out the error's "Unable to contact a DHCP server..." I have even set a DHCP Relay agent to the box running Untangle which is what is providing DHCP so I'm a bit stuck.

Thanks for the prompt reply buddy.

Found something that you might want to consider looking at:

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=20169&eventno=25&source=RemoteAccess&phase=1

If its been sitting for a year, how important is the stuff thats on it? Might I suggest wiping it out, reinstalling, and then documenting everything you do, so next time something goes funky, you have a complete record of setup, changes, etc. Any time you create something like a server, its always a good idea, to have notes to refer to, hand off to another administrator, etc, so the same goes for home users, you would do the same thing you would do at work in your data center. I know its a pita to do all that, but if you troubleshoot and can't find out where something is hosed, might save time, refresh your memory as well as preserve the process for maintaining down the road. Especially, if the machine is only used in the winter time due to cooling issues.

@ Infiltrator,

Thanks for the link. That's exactly the error and issue. Just funny, because I'm not using this server for DHCP at all, but I'll dig a little deeper tonight. However I did last night give one last test before I went to sleep. The nic light does remain lit, I captured a few packet's while starting and stopping RRAS while also doing a continuous ping from another box on the lan, but haven't looked at the capture file yet.

@ digip,

I couldn't agree with you more and that is probably what I will do, because I noticed a few other funky things such as in the active directory users and computers console alot of my user accounts are missing. I can still add them to groups and so forth by the "check names" button after typing the username, but their not visible. I just got this urge to "figure it out" for future references. Also Yes I'm getting in the habit of documenting everything.

"User accounts missing" that's weird has anyone else besides yourself been playing around with the server?

I'd also recommend running a full virus scan if you can and perhaps start fresh and this time document everything you do.

No, no one else has access to the servers. It is a bit weird, once I got everything back up and running when the cold temps came I started getting weird error messages when I tried to open AD User's and Computer's and anything related to AD. I'm still learning AD also, so it could have been some change I made and wasn't to sure what I was doing.

I did actually just wipe everything and re-install a few nights ago so far so good.

Just take your time, don't rush through things, if you are not sure about something just do a bit of research and reading and document as you go.

I would also suggest buying one of those Microsoft Self-paced training kit, they can be quite useful in certain situations.