Smtp Server For Receipt Of Surveillance System Email?

DaBeach

I am looking for an SMTP server so that email sent on the LAN via the Surveillance System can be received by a Windows 7 box without the emails (pictures) being sent out in the wild WAN.

Any ideas/recommendations?

There are a few alternatives,

1) Argosoft (windows)

2) Surgemail (windows)

3) Postfix (linux)

You could probably use a Turnkey VM with an SNMP or IMAP server preinstalled, take all the guess work out of it. http://www.turnkeylinux.org/zimbra

Would email be the best way to handle it though, if it is meant to be securely transferred, or would some secure tunnel/vpn to the Windows 7 machine itself be better, with a file share and maybe some scripting to organize by day/week/month/and year?

I have logs sent from the client machines to a local FTP server. The logs are sent in .txt format which makes searching for keywords a bit easier than having to use email to do it (as opposed to opening each email individually and searching). A lot of keylogging software also offers listeners on the client side so you can remote in over the lan if for whatever reason logs aren't being sent. That would probably be the most secure since doing it that way the info doesn't even leave the local machine and can be stored in a manner only viewable to the actual keylogger until exported.

The Surveillance system is a stand alone unit which I think may be running Linux. It connects to the LAN via RJ45 and through the menu system and only seems to offer alarm triggered snapshots via email. I do not want to transmit out of the LAN any photos through the WAN/ISP to my email servers outside the LAN only to return to the LAN. I want to keep the Surveillance system isolated on the LAN with no access to the WAN and be able to host a email server on a local machine that would receive the Surveillance emails which I could later access via email client.

The Surveillance system is a stand alone unit which I think may be running Linux. It connects to the LAN via RJ45 and through the menu system and only seems to offer alarm triggered snapshots via email. I do not want to transmit out of the LAN any photos through the WAN/ISP to my email servers outside the LAN only to return to the LAN. I want to keep the Surveillance system isolated on the LAN with no access to the WAN and be able to host a email server on a local machine that would receive the Surveillance emails which I could later access via email client.

I'd use Postfix and then later, I'd use OpenVPN if I want to connect into my LAN from outside.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Postfix