Ram Disk / Ssd

shift

I just installed a SSD.. amazing how much quicker things are!

So far i have disabled hibernation, turned off the page file, and changed firefox to use the ram rather than the disk for caching.

I have read about people creating "ram disks" with excess ram to use as a virtual caching drive for applications.

Has anyone tried this? is it worth using 4-6 gb of ram in this fashion?

The biggest load would probably be Photoshop or premier in terms of caching..

IF anyone has used one.. and you think its worth it what software do you recommend?

Thanks.

Here is the thing, even without an SSD, you can turn off the swap and page file if you have enough ram. I've got 16GB of ram, and went a week without using a swap, although I think a 2mb minimum is required from memory, all my games and other programs worked a treat this way. However, programs like Photoshop, want a swap file, and disabling it causes issue with crashes in photoshop, so I re-enabled it.

I didn't really notice any real performance difference in my system when using only RAM and no swap. My goal at some point, is like 6 SSD's with windows mirrored on two so I have a backup and the other 4 in a RAID configuration.

My goal at some point, is like 6 SSD's with windows mirrored on two so I have a backup and the other 4 in a RAID configuration.

If you are going to do a RAID configuration, might as well go with RAID 0 or RAID 10 for performance and redundancy.