Is There A Workarround For The Win 7 Ram Limit (x64)

shift

I installed 24GB of ram but win7 is only showing 16GB useable. Is there a work around to remove the 16GB Ram limit on Windows 7 Home premium 64-bit

there is tons of work around posted for x86 but i can't seem to find anything on x64.

Thanks guys.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx

Why do you possibly need more than 16 GB?

You want more, upgrade Windows version to Pro or Ultimate.

Or install x64 Linux.

The following table specifies the limits on physical memory for Windows 7.

Version Limit on X86 Limit on X64

Windows 7 Ultimate

4 GB

192 GB

Windows 7 Enterprise

4 GB

192 GB

Windows 7 Professional

4 GB

192 GB

Windows 7 Home Premium

4 GB

16 GB

Windows 7 Home Basic

4 GB

8 GB

Windows 7 Starter

2 GB

I know I can upgrade to a higher version.. but since i already have a legit copy of home premium i don't really want to pay for another version. its more the point that i have 24GB and can't use all of it.

Win7 can support upto 192GB ram.. so it has to be a software limitation within windows.. presumably hidden in a config file or the registry.. the real question is where!

Upgrade to higher version is cheap AND legit.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/windows-7-upgrade-to-professional.aspx

$90 w/ Windows Anytime Upgrade.

Windows Anytime Upgrade: Windows 7 Professional

Upgrade in as little as 10 minutes

Work anywhere more easily and securely

Safeguard your work with automatic network backups

You get what you paid for. If you want more "features" like ability to allocate more memory, you are going to have to upgrade, that is how it works. Or find your "fix/hack" which will break your TOS and not be "Legit" anymore ;)

And I don't think it will be as easy as just a registry change or a config file.

Edited by Mr-Protocol

One thing you have to be aware of, is that the OS isn't going to be the only factor limiting memory capacity. You also need to determine if your motherboard can support those 24Gigs, if it doesn't than its a waste of money having those extra gigs, when you can't use them.

Edit: But I would also have to agree with Mr.Protocol, just buy a copy of the Windows Professional x64, it will be a lot better off than installing patches, which could cause issues to the OS.

Edited by Infiltrator

If your board has slots for 24GB of ram, then the only solutions is an upgrade of the OS. If however the board doesn't allow more than 16GB, or even 8GB, then it makes no sense to upgrade.

By the way, I have 16GB in my Win 7 Pro box (limitation of the Mobo) and unless you plan on running 30 virtual machines at the same time, you should have no issues with a 16GB limit. Most programs aren't going to use more than 2GB of ram at a time, and will swap to the HDD anyway, so with 16GB of ram, you could theoretically have a total of 32GB of memory with a saw size equal to the amount of ram you have.

I think I'm stick with 16gb for now then. I had 12gb of ram and have successfully maxed it out a few times lately doing photo and Video editing.

I just can't justify spending money on a replacement OS for now just to be able to use an addition 8gb of ram (but I'm sure I'll break down eventually)

Thanks for all the replys

I can only imagine how much $ you spent on RAM and it costs $90 to upgrade to Win7 Pro...

Also doesn't your video editing use GPU power vs CPU power?

GPU helps in some cases, but still use CPU to render. Playback is usually what helps by GPU. If you have something with CUDA based card or high end ATI stream processing, then they have drivers for things like Adobe CS5 products which benefit from GPU power, but only if they have support for the card in use.

GPU helps in some cases, but still use CPU to render. Playback is usually what helps by GPU. If you have something with CUDA based card or high end ATI stream processing, then they have drivers for things like Adobe CS5 products which benefit from GPU power, but only if they have support for the card in use.

Yeah, that is what I was saying, but in less words :P. Wasn't sure of this guy's setup or what he was using.

Photoshop does load images into ram. I was editing a 217 mega pixel image and it ate up all 12 GB of ram and cup and still took about 10 min just to save it.

Setup is

i7 950 3.06ghz.

ati radeon 5870

Previously 12gb ram Now 24 (16 usable)

Photoshop does load images into ram. I was editing a 217 mega pixel image and it ate up all 12 GB of ram and cup and still took about 10 min just to save it.

Setup is

i7 950 3.06ghz.

ati radeon 5870

Previously 12gb ram Now 24 (16 usable)

Why the hell do you need a 217 mega pixel image? lol

Megapixel or megabytes. Don't know of any cameras with "217 megapixel" resolution. The like $40,000 p65 only does 60 megapixels. If you got money for a camera doing more than that many megapixels, ram limitations shouldn't be an issue in your budget for hardware.