Choosing Better Passwords

Mike Gibbs

Long passphrases with mixalpha and the use of special characters should also make it a complex and hard to break password.

Edited by Infiltrator

Not sure where I heard it but I tell this to concerned customers as I work in a computer shop: choose something you can't remember and then don't write it down

That's where many of us fail at, even myself. I really have a hard time remembering passwords, everytime I change my computer password at work, the next day I have to ring up the help desk to reset it for me.

For instance my Gmail password is very complex, it took me a while to memorise it.

The good thing is, that I don't have to ring up Google Help Desk to reset it "Sarcasm"

• 1 month later...

thats a funny comic, thanks for sharing.

but its point is totally wrong. you are comparing a string password you have to really brute force with a longer password you can attack with a dictionary. in practice, the second password is much more likely to get cracked.

plus, every site that lets you do 1000 guesses per second for three ongoing days probably shouldn't be trusted with anything.

thats a funny comic, thanks for sharing.

but its point is totally wrong. you are comparing a string password you have to really brute force with a longer password you can attack with a dictionary. in practice, the second password is much more likely to get cracked.

plus, every site that lets you do 1000 guesses per second for three ongoing days probably shouldn't be trusted with anything.

no, your pretty much wrong, take your dictionary attack for one word, say the word is 8 characters long, so 8^3 (3 words) = 512, now X that by the amount of words in the dictionary, as well as some commonly words people dont spell right, possibly capitalization, and perhaps even just 1 special character, your talking billions, billions of trys, you throw in 1 special character and your dictionary attack goes out the window, and you have to account for spaces, by the time its cracked you'll either be dead, account will be closed, or you will have changed the password, even if you have a 50GPU cluster, its still going to be pointless, there are better ways to get around it at that point.