New Video Card Suggestions

DaBeach

Anyone have any suggestions?

I currently have a Sapphire X1650PRO video card with dual DVI connections and I am looking to add an additional video card so that I can run a 3rd monitor (46" LCD TV) for videos and such, I would need to use HDMI to connect. I would want to be able to do high res videos 1080p. Any suggestions on what to look for? This is not for a gaming machine.

How much are you willing to spend?

I would like to see under $60USD, but would consider higher if there is a good reason. I mostly use the machine for basic stuff, but would like to run XBMC for the TV while still doing other stuff on the 2 DVI monitors (VM's, Excel, Email & WWW). I don't think I need anything fancy, what do you think?

Any of the new or current graphics cards in the market today (ATI or NVIDIA) should do the trick.

Just pick one that suits your budget:

http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category.aspx?Category=38&name=Video-Cards-Video-Devices

Edit: For instance this graphics card can run x3 monitors simultaneously.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/sapphire-hd5770-flex-review-on-3-monitors/4/

Edited by Infiltrator

I looked up the Sapphire HD5770 and discovered the: "SAPPHIRE 100338L Radeon HD 6770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card" is it safe to say that the 6770 would be better than the 5770?

Is 1GB memory sufficient for dual DVI 24" Monitors and the 46" HDMI TV?

I looked up the Sapphire HD5770 and discovered the: "SAPPHIRE 100338L Radeon HD 6770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card" is it safe to say that the 6770 would be better than the 5770?

Is 1GB memory sufficient for dual DVI 24" Monitors and the 46" HDMI TV?

It should be enough if you are not using it for playing games or other intensive application that demands high resolution. I have a dual 23 inches screen attached to a Nvidia GTX460. Whenever I play games I turn the screen I am not using off, if I live it on the resolution will look all stretched and distorted. For normal internet browsing and film watching it should handle well.

If you want to do hard core stuff, like playing games and watching films at the same time than one graphics card is not going to be powerful enough, you will need an additional graphic card to cope with the extra stress.

OK, thanks for the tips. I will most likely try this card or one similar and if I have trouble I guess I can just leave my original card in or buy a matching new one.