De-authing 5.8 Ghz 802.11n Networks

moyam01

Hello,

I was wondering, is it possible to de-auth a 5.8 Ghz connection using an adapter using 2.4 Ghz? I don't know if routers use different tables for different frequencies or not. Specifically, I am buying an adapter specifically for aircrack and need to know if it is worth it to get an adapter that supports 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz connections. I would be sacrificing range if I get the 5 Ghz compatible adapter.

Thanks,

moyam01

Just buy two separate adapters that can operate on each corresponding band. It will be a lot easier.

Thanks for the advice. I was under the impression that the 2.4 and 5.8 ghz bands worked on different radios, therefore if I was working with 2.4ghz network I would be using a different radio, and therefore would not need different adapters. I guess is what I am asking is there a way to access each of the radios individually?

FYI: The model I am thinking of getting-

http://www.data-alliance.net/-strse-229/Alfa-500mW-802.11n-USB/Detail.bok

The Alfa AWUS051NH

I read it had good packet injection rates as well as it can operate in AP mode as well. I don't have a direct use for this yet, but I'm sure I can think of something.:)

Thanks,

moyam01

According to the specifications on the website, it operates on both bands 2.4 and 5.8Ghz. But you can only operate one band at the time. If you want to deauth both 2.4 and 5.8 bands simultaneously you will need two separate adapters.

Ok, thanks a lot. Though this does bring up more questions not related to the subject.

1. MIMO- I was under the understanding that MIMO allowed the devices to connect in 2.4 and 5GHZ bands in order to transfer files quickly. If that is the case, how do the radios work on both bands at the same time?

2. Does this limitation only apply to packet injections? I assume that when the card it connected, it is able to detect 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks, and if that is the case, will it be able o monitor both at the same time?

A bit more unrelated-

Do I take the mw ratings on the alfas seriously. I mean, I would assume that a network card with 2 watt power is more powerful than a 500 mw power one, or am I just wrong in making tat assumption. I read somewhere that the power rating that they are reporting is not exactly accurate in that they use bigger antennas to produce those ratings.

Sorry for all the newb questions, but I have really taken an interest in this stuff.

Thanks again,

moyam01

1. MIMO- I was under the understanding that MIMO allowed the devices to connect in 2.4 and 5GHZ bands in order to transfer files quickly. If that is the case, how do the radios work on both bands at the same time?

MIMO stands for multiple input and multiple out, its a technology that makes use of multiple antennas at both the transmitter and receiver to improve communication performance. Furthermore it significantly increase the data throughput and link range without additional bandwidth or transmit power.

You won't really need MIMO when performing wireless pen-testing. Its mainly used for transferring large files from one computer to another or for watching HD movies. And not many wireless routers/AP support MIMO so its just something to keep in mind too.

2. Does this limitation only apply to packet injections? I assume that when the card it connected, it is able to detect 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks, and if that is the case, will it be able o monitor both at the same time?

That's a good question, since I haven't used a dual band wireless adapter before, I can't give you an answer on that. But I'm guessing if the adapter is not authenticated to the AP it should be able to monitor both bands simultaneously, or at least passively monitor the wireless traffic.

Do I take the mw ratings on the alfas seriously. I mean, I would assume that a network card with 2 watt power is more powerful than a 500 mw power one, or am I just wrong in making tat assumption. I read somewhere that the power rating that they are reporting is not exactly accurate in that they use bigger antennas to produce those ratings.

Yes, a 2 watts antenna has more power than a 500 milliwatts antenna. It offers better coverage when pen-testing from a distance. For instance, you could be from a few hundred meters to a few KMs away from the access point and still be able to see it.

Edited by Infiltrator

MIMO- I understand, for some reason I was under the impression that the standard jumped frequencies, as in they used radios in the 2.4ghz band and the 5 ghz band while transferring files.

It seems i might get the longer range 2.4 Ghz version instead of the dual band, as it seems to me that range would be more beneficial than the ability to deauth 5 ghz networks as there are very few of those I presume.

Thank you very much for our help,

moyam01

The problem is that most wifi stuff like aircrack, aireplay, etc, only speak on the 2.4ghz bands. Backtrack for example, can't connect to a 5ghz 802.11 N only networks if its only speaking on the 5ghz band. In fact, an N only network can be seen, but not connected to for some reason(authentication always fails under WPA 802.11N only networks). More than likely support for 802.11n only networks just isn't there or added to the kernel. However, it will deauth 802.11n networks, but from what I understand, only those in the 2.4gz spectrum can be connected to under a b and g protocols. Don't quote me on that, and they may have updates that remedy this o might even be a limitation on the drivers for my specific card, but I have not had any success with the 5gz band myself for 802.11n only networks under linux. Windows works fine with same adapters, but linux seems to only connect to 2.4ghz spectrum at this time for b and g and 5ghz far a, not n.