Water Cooling Vs Fan Cooling

danielbrthwt

I was thinking of installing water cooling in my PC but some of my friends said that it was a terrible idea because they often leak and you have dismantle it when ever your moving it so i was wondering if i could get some other opinions on this

What spec is your machine?

These days water cooling doesn't tend to leak unless you make a mistake. It is a lot more hassle than air cooling though. Unless it is running very hot (i.e. you have a very powerful graphics card or you are over clocking it) then I wouldn't bother with water cooling.

In my opinion air cooling is better than water cooling for most people.

I've been using water cooling on my computer since I built it, which has been now for more than 4 years. Never had any problems, the only issue I have is when maneuvering it around. The water cooling unit and my computer case weigh more than 10 kilos. Since the water cooling unit is externally mounted, I have to disconnect the tubes whenever I need to move the computer case around.

Which is a bit of an inconvenience as your friend pointed out. Nevertheless I do find it very safe to run, it does however require a bit of maintenance and you do have to keep an eye on it from time to time just to see how things are going.

On a side note, I would only use water cooling if you are really planning on overclocking your system, it would be a bit of an overkill to have water cooling, but anyway that's your personal preference.

Edited by Infiltrator

Unless you are using a thermoelectric/peltier cooler for extreme cooling, I would stay away from liquid cooling as the benefits would be minimal. If you had a peltier, then you would most definitely need a liquid cooling solution, as a fan based cooler would probably melt to the peltier.

it seems that everyone has there own opion I sopose its just personal prefrence

Well, that is one way to look at it, but I think its more for practical use, than preference. I don't need it because my fans keeps my machine at decent temps, even when gaming and I have an Ati 5770 in there. I also have additional fans though, not just a single CPU fan going, and my case is designed for maximum air flow, vents in the front sides and rear with sidewall fan, rear fan and CPU fan.

I think if you live in a place where the temperature of the room is hot to begin with, and your machine runs extremely hot even on idle, it might be worth looking into the liquid cooling, but probably more important to look into your current setup before making the changes. There might be things you can do now to optimize cooling without spending any money, like cable management, adding additional fans from old machines, etc.

If you are going to invest in Water cooling though, do your research. Make sure that its going to be beneficial and provide the cooling you desire. Personally I would only use it if combined with a peltier, which would require a water block or radiator system of some kind, since they create so much heat on the one side, while the other side can get below ambient temperatures, they work much better than just liquid cooling alone.

These days water cooling doesn't tend to leak unless you make a mistake. It is a lot more hassle than air cooling though. Unless it is running very hot (i.e. you have a very powerful graphics card or you are over clocking it) then I wouldn't bother with water cooling.

In my opinion air cooling is better than water cooling for most people.

I second this

• 3 weeks later...

I used to be big into the whole modding of PC's and pushing them as far as they could go.

But I've realized that with as quick as technology is these days, I'm ok waiting that extra half second for Photoshop to open lol

Water Cooling has a whole lot more maintenance that goes along with it, even if you get a closed loop system.

I'd stick with a nice heatsink and fan combo.