Small Home Server

SaintNick

Hey guys,

I have recently built an AMD box on the cheap and want to use it as a remote development environment, also I had planed to use it to store files.

I could have have almost had it running just off of windows 7, but windows didn't like me trying to use more than one account at a time. I have

now installed Ubuntu 11.04 on it and am not to sure about how to set it up the way I want.

The computer will end up running without a keyboard and mouse, but I have it plugged into my tv, the idea being that when its on it automatically logs into a TV account and would sit idle.

I can do this just find but I'm not sure how to get a remote desktop on another account on that same box.

That is the command you would run at a terminal on your ubuntu box (via SSH, console, whatever).

sudo apt-cache search rdp | grep server

sudo means run as root basically.

apt-cache search rdp means search the available software repositories for entries that contain rdp (remote desktop protocol [ms term serv, vnc, etc.]).

| means take that output and run it through the command that follows.

grep server searches through the results containing rdp and outputs only those that contain server (and rdp)

That will get a list of software you can look at and determine which one will best suit your needs.

That is the command you would run at a terminal on your ubuntu box (via SSH, console, whatever).

sudo apt-cache search rdp | grep server

sudo means run as root basically.

apt-cache search rdp means search the available software repositories for entries that contain rdp (remote desktop protocol [ms term serv, vnc, etc.]).

| means take that output and run it through the command that follows.

grep server searches through the results containing rdp and outputs only those that contain server (and rdp)

That will get a list of software you can look at and determine which one will best suit your needs.

Thanks for taking some time to actualy say something.

I've been online now for the past hour and a bit and so far it looks like VNC is most supported option. I'm using "x11vnc" server but I'm going to try others before giving up on VNC.

as it stands right now, The AMD box is running Ubuntu 11.04 amd86_x64 with 2 accounts. one account for the TV automatically logs in after 30 seconds of inactivity. (you can set this up via GUI. System -> Administration -> Login Screen)

This allows the box to connect to a wireless connection (I know there are other ways).

I also installed openshh-server from terminal with

sudo apt-get install openssh-server

When I find a faster way to remote over I'll post it up for the record, if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears.

Might I recommend not to use VNC, but go with NoMachines nx client/server setup (client on window smachine, server in uBuntu side). Its seems faster than VNC and uses SSH by default for connections. I had done this a long time ago when I used to have uBuntu on an old desktop, and it took a bit to setup, but was worth doing in my opinion.

Ubuntu Install - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NomachineNX

Client software for Windows, etc - http://www.nomachine.com/download.php

Edited by digip

I've just had a play around with nomachine and without setting it up much at all it had speed over vnc. I've decided I'm going to reinstall with ubuntu server as that should make this all end up a bit less hacked.

I did run into xrdp while searching for solutions but from what I found it looked rather incomplete/unstable, It's on my list if I get no joy with nomachine.

has anyone used xrdp before?

Also, thank you all for posting it's made my day easier already.