Arp Spoofing Linux Question

Masteroc

Catching up on my technolust I was watching episode 908 and saw that in linux you need to change your ipv4 setting so that the traffic will flow through your computer. Is there a problem leaving this set to "1" during normal operation? Or do I have to change it every time that I want to arp spoof?

Thanks

By default any Linux distribution will have IP Forwarding disabled. This is normally a good idea, as most people will not need IP Forwarding. Its only required if you are setting up a Linux as a router/gateway/proxy or a MIMT attack, where the traffic must flow through. So ideally you want to have IPv4 forwarding disabled, if you are not planning on doing any of the above.

Edited by Infiltrator

So is it a bad idea to leave it on all the time, if say I was using ubuntu daily but didnt want to change it every time I arp spoof/MITM?

I wouldn't say its a bad idea, but from a performance point of view, your computer could take a hit. Simply because there could be traffic going through it.

So that's why its recommended to leave it disabled, if you don't require IPv4 Forwarding enabled.

If it hassles you too much, why not just make a script and put it on your desktop so that it will do it for you when clicked.

When I saw Inflitrator's last post I thought this exact thing. And I think this is what I will do.

Thanks for the info guys!

When I saw Inflitrator's last post I thought this exact thing. And I think this is what I will do.Thanks for the info guys!

Your welcome, Have fun Arp Spoofing!

-Remotesh