What To Charge?

gEEEk

Hello community.

I know, I know. It's not the first time this topic has been discussed but however I need some serious help.

So my boss has asked me to "develop" their website. I mean, the design is done and my part is to put this thing

together and set it up. A bunch of DIV tags and a LOT of jumping from Photoshop to coding.

It's about 10 pages including index page containing some jQuery and possibly one or two Flash players.

No PHP, no database no icky sticky. Nothing like that.

I'm having a hard time deciding what I should charge for such a deal. I know you'll probably say: "Estimate how much time it will take" and then

just use some black magic math to multiply it with your hour rate. But I don't have a clue how long this will take.

This is my first "real" webdesign/development job. But I'm seriously clueless. I'm thinking around 400$ for the entire thing.

Overpriced? Underpriced?

Thankful for all responses. :)

(not the ones giving me a stinky URL to another topic)

Guest Deleted_Account

Hello community.

I know, I know. It's not the first time this topic has been discussed but however I need some serious help.

So my boss has asked me to "develop" their website. I mean, the design is done and my part is to put this thing

together and set it up. A bunch of DIV tags and a LOT of jumping from Photoshop to coding.

It's about 10 pages including index page containing some jQuery and possibly one or two Flash players.

No PHP, no database no icky sticky. Nothing like that.

I'm having a hard time deciding what I should charge for such a deal. I know you'll probably say: "Estimate how much time it will take" and then

just use some black magic math to multiply it with your hour rate. But I don't have a clue how long this will take.

This is my first "real" webdesign/development job. But I'm seriously clueless. I'm thinking around 400$ for the entire thing.

Overpriced? Underpriced?

Thankful for all responses. :)

(not the ones giving me a stinky URL to another topic)

The way I charge is a base price ($80 for a basic 4 page site) and than an hourly wage of $30/hour. If they want extra pages they are $5/page but I also give quotes based on bigger sites. So for instance the one you posted I would charge:

10 pages - $130

Hourly - $30/ hour

I get a lot of clients for that price too so I don't think it's over priced at all.

I think it depends on your portofolio, what & how many companys you have allready done work for (experience & skills). How good you are at web design, photoshop, security, ect.. if you charged the last person $20/hr then try for $30 or more for the next customer (you can always drop the price). I try not to quote someone a one time price because I have got screwed like that. The main thing is to make sure they are happy so you can use them as a reference in the future, and they will be a repeat customer. For your first real web site deal, I would recommend charging a entry level fee, maybe a little more depending on your confidence on your abilitys. Allways remember to make back ups! If you make this customer happy he will tell future customers how awesome you are.

If all you are doing is putting together someone else's existing code and art work, I'd say $400 might be a bit steep depending on how much work there is. If there is a ton of extra legwork and coding from your end to put it all together, then you would have to assess the workload and make that decision yourself. There is no standard, but try not to rape them on the price. If your employer agrees to $400 then stick to that, but make sure you honor the agreement and use this project as experience to gauge your own work for the next job. If anything, its experience and you get your feet wet with it to better help yourself for the next project.

If all you are doing is putting together someone else's existing code and art work, I'd say $400 might be a bit steep depending on how much work there is. If there is a ton of extra legwork and coding from your end to put it all together, then you would have to assess the workload and make that decision yourself. There is no standard, but try not to rape them on the price. If your employer agrees to $400 then stick to that, but make sure you honor the agreement and use this project as experience to gauge your own work for the next job. If anything, its experience and you get your feet wet with it to better help yourself for the next project.

Well not really their code since the designer just gave me a PSD document. So the code is all mine. However, I recon it's gonna take some time. It's not really a complicated site, but it's got loads of content.

I think I'll probably go with 300$, since this is really my first "real" deal. And I don't want to scare anyone off.

Thanks for all the responses! :)

$400 dollars sound too much, unless there's a lot of work involved, then I would charge that. But $300 dollars should be in a good price range.

<br />$400 dollars sound too much, unless there's a lot of work involved, then I would charge that. But $300 dollars should be in a good price range.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Like I was saying, lets not undersell ourselves here. How many hours do you think it would take to build the site? $300 would be $15/hr for 20 hrs. What if it ends up taking you 40 hrs because they want to keep changing stuff. Most professionals I know charge $30+ an hour.