Eeepc Screen Goes Black

supereater14

i have searched google for this and found nothing. i have an eeepc 1001pxd. i live in michigan, so the weather is kinda chilly at the moment. whenever i try to use my eee pc outside, after a few seconds one half of the screen will go dead, then the other. everything else works fine while the screen is dead. suspending and restoring causes the screen to come on again for another few seconds.

Does your netbook have a VGA port that you could use to connect an external monitor.

You need to observe if it goes blank as well, if does it could be graphics card that is failing, if it doesn't than the screen itself is failing and needs replacement.

it's the left and right sides

i can't really hook it up to an external monitor while it's doing this because it only happens in cold temperatures

That is weird, how long have you had it for? Is it still under warranty?

I have had it for less than a month. i am debating returning it, however, because it works fine otherwise and it could just be a design flaw

Do you know if anyone else in other forums have reported similar issues.

I would probably take it back to the shop where you bought it, if it keeps occurring too often.

Do you know if anyone else in other forums have reported similar issues.

I would probably take it back to the shop where you bought it, if it keeps occurring too often.

take it back to the shop, ehh... i bought it online

i have checked other forums, no luck.

after a bit of checking, i have discovered a couple of other things.

it seems to be more dependent on sunlight than temperature. the backlight does not go off, the backlight stays on while the lcd pixels turn black.

That is a very interesting fact, I've never heard of anything like that before.

Perhaps a design flaw

I wouldn't run it in extremely cold temps anyway. While the main hardware won't care, laptop screens have been known to have issues going back and forth between room temperature and outside cold temperatures. Something I've heard for years is, never start a laptop when brining it inside from the cold, so the same would go for the reverse, don't run it outside in the cold. Depending on the hardware, most Laptop screens are liquid and shouldn't be exposed to extremely cold temperatures. Especially if in use. When you say chilly, I'm thinking more like freezing tempatures. Nothing below 50-60 degrees should be attempted for the screen while in use. Especially if its cold as in snow on the ground temperatures, then yeah, thats probably too cold for operating use. Not so much for the mainboard (which can handle freezing temperatures) but for the LCD itself.

http://americas.kyocera.com/kicc/Lcd/notes/tempconsider.html

Edited by digip

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5786370_can-cold-weather-damage-laptop_.html

Fact

The optimal temperature range for using laptops is between 50 and 95 degrees Fahrenheit. Temperatures lower than 50 degrees may prove harmful.

Screen

The laptop's LCD screen contains liquid. If this liquid freezes, the screen can crack or shatter.

Battery

Extremely cold temperatures may compromise the laptop's battery. A frozen battery will lose life faster and struggle to sustain a full charge.

Condensation

Taking a frozen or chilled laptop into a warm indoor environment may cause condensation to form. This moisture poses a serious danger to the internal processors and components. To avoid condensation, always allow a cold laptop to sit at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before powering it on.

Warming

A cold or frozen laptop must be gradually warmed. Allow it to adjust to room temperature and warm up naturally over time. Never use hair dryers or other forms of artificial heating, as they can damage components or cause potential cracking due to rapid expansion.

• 5 months later...

take it back to the shop, ehh... i bought it online

i have checked other forums, no luck.

after a bit of checking, i have discovered a couple of other things.

it seems to be more dependent on sunlight than temperature. the backlight does not go off, the backlight stays on while the lcd pixels turn black.

Hello there. I have the same problem too. In fact, it's so predictable it's almost comical. I can stand in the sunlight but have my shadow casting over the LCD and still be ok. Soon as I rotate and there is direct sunlight on the screen, half or all of the screen goes black. I can refresh the monitor two ways: Fn+F7 twice or rotate the screen horizontally with ALT+CTRL+right arrow, then return it to the right orientation with ALT+CTRL+up arrow. As long as there is direct sunlight on the screen it always goes back to black .

Have you found a problem to this solution?

Thanks.