Ipv6, Is It Safe?

BlueWyvern

It puts the packets on the internet or it gets the hose again...

Ok now that the bad jokes are out of the way, I have been looking around and have seen many people taking the plunge to IPv6. My question however is how secure is it REALLY? After watching the segment with Mubix using metasploit to gain access to a system and install IPv6 for later connectivity it has me a bit worried that IPv6 lacks security in a big way.

Does anyone have any useful information, or helpful hints or "absolutely must do this" if you go IPv6?

I found these articles quite interesting and i think you should read it if you want to understand more about the security issues involving IPv6.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/networking/ipv6-security-concerns/688

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/071309-ipv6-network-threat.html

Edit: The idea is you want a firewall that is capable of filtering IPv6. Most firewalls at the moment, their are either capable of filtering or have not been configured properly, which is where the security issue lies.

Edited by Infiltrator

One thing to remember is that IPv6 doesn't have any NAT features so your firewall does become even more important than most home networks using IPv4. Instead every thing on your network is theoretically contactable from any other machine using IPv6. This would open up a lot of devices that are currently hidden behind NAT to possible direct attacks.

In few years times if you don't configure your firewall correctly then you may find people port scanning your fridge :)

For now I would stick with IPv4, it still offers good security for your home computers, because the NAT built in features in the firewall. I know some people are already taking the plunge into the IPv6 world, but I don't see the need to rush out and implement IPv6 for now. I would wait until all these security issues have been addressed.

Edited by Infiltrator