New Computer

RAZEHELL

Hey maybe someone can help me I built a new computer and it does a funny thing when I turn it on it shuts off no more than 2 seconds after I hit the power button but 4 seconds later it boots up fine. This only seems to happen when I completely remove all power to the motherboard because if I shut down it will restart fine. If someone has any ideas it would be great I just got this motherboard so if there is something wrong I want to be able to return it.

Motherboard:Gigabyte x58a-ud3r

ram:crucial 6gb triple channel

video card:evga 512mb mem

processor:intel i7-950

Never seen that, but might just be the post having issues. What kind of BIOS does it have? See if there is an update for it. Someone else seems to have had issues with memory clock/timing/speed issues, so might be a bug and an update could fix it.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?77318-GIGABYTE-X58A-UD3R-Rev-2-NEW-BIOS-File-with-DDR-Improvements

I don't think you are along with this issue though:

http://www.google.com/search?num=50&hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&q=Gigabyte+x58a-ud3r+boot+post&btnG=Search

What is the size of your GPU and power supply, might need more powerful PSU.

Edited by digip

^^^ Was going to ask that, the size of the power supply, as well as make sure all the cables are connected firmly.

1) Since you are using 6gigs of ram, I would suggest to try out 1 or 2 gigs of ram first. To see if that has any affect at all.

2) Disconnected all the cables and only connect the important ones. Motherboard, hard drive and Graphics card and then try again

3) Make sure the CPU fan is sitting atop the CPU properly.

Give the above a try, and see if that makes any difference.

well I have a 600w power supply I just updated the bios to the latest version and I took all the ram out and tried it in one slot then two then all three it still did it I wouldn't mind it if I know the board wasn't going to die a few month later then I'm S.O.L

I think with that board, processor and GPU, you might just need a slightly larger power supply, but this could just come down to that model of boards and a defect.

It seems many people are having similar issues with the same board, but generally fixed by larger power supplies. I read that some people had 600watt PSUs, and said it wasn't enough causing the machine to reboot after about a minute or two of being up, that once they updated to a more powerful PSU, the issues of reboots went away. The GPU doesn't seem to be that power hungry and I'm assuming is one of the low power nVidia knock offs like the GeForce 6200s that only do up to Direct-X 9, so its not like you have a whole lot going on other than the CPU and board itself. Are you attempting to over-clock this by any chance?

edit: I might be wrong about the GPU, as I was just reading the eVGA 512 GeForce 6200's need a minimum 300watts adn the i7 wants at least a 400watt minimum, so I would say, upgrade the PSU to at least 750 and up and see what happens. Personally, I would just make the leap for a 900-1000watt psu. If it still dumps at boot, then at least you got a nice new power supply to add additional hardware with down the road and should be more than sufficient for additional drives, GPU and fans.

Edited by digip

My current PC is running with a 860 watt power supply and an EVGA GTX 260 graphics card. The interesting part is that when it was first released, a lot of hardware reviewers found this type of series to run very hot and consume a lot of electricity, compared to former generations. While I find that true, I never ran into any issues with the power supply not being able to handle it.

Point being, try upgrading your powers supply to high wattage capacity one. That should fix the problem if not than your motherboard has issues.

yeah I think its my motherboard I just swapped it out for a much bigger power supply and it does the exact same thing I think I will be changing out the motherboard for another one

Is there a lot of people, having issues with this board besides yourself.

I mean I was going to buy one of them, Gigabyte x58a-ud3r for my next build

Edited by Infiltrator

I think its a good board I think its like all products you could get a good one or you could always get a bad one according to newegg this was the most popular board

Very true, I remember before when I was shopping around for my first motherboard and came across the Asus Extreme Striker.

At the time, everyone was complaining that, it was an awful board and was giving them a lot of headaches.

Well for me was love at first sight, did not encounter any problems at all. Plugged in all the essentials and there it went, it booted up with no issues at all.

And I am still using it to date and it has been running with no issues since then.

Hey Just wanted to update on the mb situation I swapped the mb for a new one and got it put back together it still did the same thing so I did some more research and it turns out that gigabyte boards when all power is removed the boot strap is forgotten that why it restarts twice here is the link if anyone is interested in reading. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/256936-30-gigabyte-cold-boot-issue

Hey Just wanted to update on the mb situation I swapped the mb for a new one and got it put back together it still did the same thing so I did some more research and it turns out that gigabyte boards when all power is removed the boot strap is forgotten that why it restarts twice here is the link if anyone is interested in reading. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/256936-30-gigabyte-cold-boot-issue

I read through that thread and have to say what a pain. I guess I am not going to bye that board after all, i might stick with Asus never had any issues with theirs.

Edited by Infiltrator

I have two Asus boards (p5k and p5q) that do this as well. I am wondering if it is a BIOS issue or chipset issue/feature that is causing this. It does not cause me any problems at all, just kind of strange. Seems like a plausible explanation, though, and it does only appear after switching off power completely as mentioned.

Do these boards use a DUAL-Bios? Mine does and I'm wondering if there is something wrong and it defaults to the secondary during post. By the way, my board is a Giga-byte board, and I don't have this issue you speak of.

Edited by digip

I personally don't like over-clocking my machines, I never change any settings unless I have to. Since I don't over-clock, all settings are pretty much left as standard.

Mine is a Biga-byte GA-MA785GM-US2H. I've got a 1000watt PSU, an ATI 5770 and 16GB of ram with an AMD Phenom II 6 core CPU. The only thing I did really was update my BIOS using their utility through windows, instead of from a boot disk to flash it, because the revision it had needed to be updated for when I upgraded the CPU from dual core to six cores.

Newegg doesn't have it in stock, and I'm not even sure they still make it, as they may have just improved on it with the next generation of boards, but it ran around $80-100 when it was out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128394&cm_re=GA-MA785GM-US2H-_-13-128-394-_-Product