Smoothwall Computer

BattZ

I just made a Smoothwall server, and put it up on my wall. It's all going well, but I have a few questions. Should the processor be fine with just a heat sink and no fan? since that is the only loud thing about it, or is the only option to get a quieter fan? I was thinking if I replaced the heat sink with a big one, and took the fan off of that one, it might be enough since it isn't working too hard. But I wanted to double check, lest I fry a processor and burn a wall in my house down.

Also, is there some way to make it auto turn on, say after a power outage? I just realized that there might be a setting in the BIOS for that, but one of the power supplies I was trying this it would turn on as soon as I plugged it in.

Depends on the CPU/mobo and compnents. 333mhz celeron, probably fine. Anything dual core or above 1ghz, put a fan on it. Don't take chances.

Yea, I guess your right, plus this computer has been kicking around for so long I'm not even sure what processor is in it.

While I'm here, I might as well ask another question. When I installed Smoothwall, I had the option for up to 4 cards, it couldn't detect my Linksys ones, but that's not a big problem. I'm curious before I go out and by some more gigabit NIC's, could I plug my main machine right into one on the the Smoothwall server, or can I only setup Smoothwall to go to switches or wireless cards? I'm thinking of one NIC for my main machine, one for a NAT, one for my media center, one for my wireless router, and the on-board for the internet in. I have the PCI slots, and one of the reasons I want to do this is to get the fastest speeds to my main machine, and so I can see how much data is going over my network, since if I plugged everything into my current Linksys wireless router, I don't think Smoothwall would see the data.

Yes, you can connect your computer directly to the smoothwall server, usually a basic smoothwall setup will have two NICS, one for connecting to the modem and the second for connecting to the LAN. You can use that LAN port or install an additional NIC if you want to have a pc directly connected to it.

Unless I missed a setting somewhere, there isn't an option to connect Smoothwall to both my main computer and a switch/router. You have to set the NIC to a color, the other unused colors are orange and purple, a DMZ and a wireless card. Is there a setting that would allow for a computer / NAT to be attached to the smoothwall machine beyond the green NIC? Though I'm pretty sure the gain from not going through my linksys router would be minimal though. I might need to get a 12-ish port gigabit switch soon and actually make my network nice.

I am not sure what color you chose, but according to this Smoothwall manual

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/smoothwall/smoothwall-express-3.0-install-guide.pdf

You can install a third card and have it set up as a DMZ. That would've been the "Green + Orange (Red is modem/ISDN)".

Before you settle in with smoothwall, you should check out ClearOS 5.2

there is a live demo on there website and I now have a mITX D510 (dual core + 2 hyer threads) running very nicely in a passive cooled box.

board £48

Case £25

SSD £45

Ram £20

Before you settle in with smoothwall, you should check out ClearOS 5.2

there is a live demo on there website and I now have a mITX D510 (dual core + 2 hyer threads) running very nicely in a passive cooled box.

board £48

Case £25

SSD £45

Ram £20

Had a quick on the ClearOS website and have to say I am very impressed with it. It has a lot more features than Smoothwall.

Now for the malware defense part, what AV does it use?

And have you tried setting a dual wan connection and does it work well?

Had a quick on the ClearOS website and have to say I am very impressed with it. It has a lot more features than Smoothwall.

Now for the malware defense part, what AV does it use?

And have you tried setting a dual wan connection and does it work well?

Clam AV, which to me is not very good as an Eset resller. However if the virus dosnt make it to my client then that is f.k.ing sweet.

Yes the load balance is very in-depth and all you could hope for.

Clam AV, which to me is not very good as an Eset resller. However if the virus dosnt make it to my client then that is f.k.ing sweet.

Yes the load balance is very in-depth and all you could hope for.

So how do you think ClearOS would compare to Untangle?