Netbook Hard Drive

ParMan

i have a netbook with an 80 gb hard drive from the manufacture so I'm sure its 5400 rpm other then that i don't know. i was thinking about getting a 100gb SSD drive for the laptop, but only if it would truly increase my performance. (boot time) (program response time) the laptop doesn't have the best of specs. it has 2gb of ram and 1.6 single core processor. i dual boot Windows and Linux. it always seems like it takes about 5 minutes for a complete boot into windows. (i don't like waiting on things) i have been searching around and people have been posting there benchmarks (which always so a improvement), but i wanted to know if anyone has actually uses SSD and if there would be a noticeable improvement (worth 200 bucks)

Thanks

Parman

Should have put the extra 200$ into the netbook at purchase :P

The drive I would assume is a 5400 rpm. A SSD would increase read/write time no the drive and increase battery life (no moving parts).

But as for a noticeable difference. Probably not. Performance Monitor (Windows) may show the numbers of better performance (make sure you understand and use the right types of monitor filters), but I'm not sure you will notice it much if at all.

The 1.6 single core CPU doesn't help much at all. Netbooks aren't supposed to be super laptops. More of a web browsing tiny laptop :P.

**Note: I do not own a netbook or any SSD.

Edited by Mr-Protocol

trust me if i had the extra 200 dollars then i would have i got the netbook about a year ago and i really dont do anything on it other then search the web and remote desktop/ssh into my servers

If that is all you do on it then I doubt you would notice a difference. The main reason I can see for having a SSD in your netbook over a hard disk (and the reason I stick with my old eeePC 900 which has a SSD) is that it will take knocks a lot better. Mine still works fine despite being in my backpack when it has taken some serious knocks. If it had a hard disk I am pretty sure I would have bad sectors all over the place.

If he had spent an extra $200 he could have gotten a real notebook :).

Personally, I would not spend the extra money. That being said, I have an Asus 1000 40gb SSD (8gb okay, 32gb dreadfully slow) that I upgraded the stock 32gb SSD (basically sd card on a stick) with a 64 gb better SSD and upgraded to 2gb ram. My Windows 7 install boots to desktop within 15 seconds. All that being said, I rarely use it, because I tend to use my regular laptop. About the only time I use my netbook is to watch movies on a plane or do updates when I think about it. For me, it is just a shiny toy.

If he had spent an extra $200 he could have gotten a real notebook :).

Personally, I would not spend the extra money. That being said, I have an Asus 1000 40gb SSD (8gb okay, 32gb dreadfully slow) that I upgraded the stock 32gb SSD (basically sd card on a stick) with a 64 gb better SSD and upgraded to 2gb ram. My Windows 7 install boots to desktop within 15 seconds. All that being said, I rarely use it, because I tend to use my regular laptop. About the only time I use my netbook is to watch movies on a plane or do updates when I think about it. For me, it is just a shiny toy.

i really didn't want a notebook. i wanted a netbook. small easy to carry around. i have desktop i do most of my stuff. but if an ssd card would increase the boot time i might consider it.

Guest Deleted_Account

My netbook runs windows 7 home perfectly 15 second boot from HDD (and is encrypted). I have 1 gb of ram and an intel atom 1.6 dual core I think I will have to check that. But for anything but gamming it runs perfectly! Oh and for gamming I have played portal on it and it's not that bad it doesn't lag until the last level where lots of stuff is happening.

Since netbooks are generally so underpowered, you may or may not notice any increase in performance by upgrading to a SSD. If I had a notebook, I would definitely ditch my HDD to a SSD.

In this case, you are better of with a notebook, you will benefit a lot more.

Edited by Infiltrator