Fon Signal Strength

Make sure that you are using channel 6, because the fonera's chipset works best on that frequency (I'm talking about the FON2100 router, I don't know if anything has changed in the later models).

I think there was a post about this on the fon forums, but I can't find it. According to someone's tests the signal strength was considerably lower on all other channels.

I never made any serious tests, but from my experience channel 6 really is the best.

Make sure that you are using channel 6, because the fonera's chipset works best on that frequency (I'm talking about the FON2100 router, I don't know if anything has changed in the later models).

I think there was a post about this on the fon forums, but I can't find it. According to someone's tests the signal strength was considerably lower on all other channels.

I never made any serious tests, but from my experience channel 6 really is the best.

As you have to size your antennas based on the target frequency and channel 6 is both the default channel and pretty near the middle of the available frequencies, it would make sense for the manufacture of those standard antennas to target that frequency. I don't know if the size difference of the antenna in the ranges we are talking about would make that much of a difference, but if they have similar choices to make elsewhere in the design of devices then the same logic would push them to aiming at channel 6.

Of course channel 6 being the default it can get quite congested so you may find that you get a lower actual performance on that channel even though you get the best signal on it.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone had any issues with the fon signal strength? I am using the original antenna. The fon is sitting only a few feet away and sometimes the signal poor is very poor, then goes back to excellent, then dropping again. Will changing the tx power from 0db help?

I have the exact same problem, the txpower is even set to 18dB (this was the default setting). I even added a huge 9dB antenna to it. But the signal is very bad, hope someone can help me out with it.

This page may be of interest to you however I wish he would have put the Fonera flat panel antenea in there as well nonetheless great info on the performance of various antaneas on the fonera

http://www.365discoveries.com/2009/08/wi-fi-antennas-on-the-cheap-802-11-wireless/

Make sure to click on the picture or visit here also

http://www.365discoveries.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/365d_fon_trials.png

This page may be of interest to you however I wish he would have put the Fonera flat panel antenea in there as well nonetheless great info on the performance of various antaneas on the fonera

http://www.365discoveries.com/2009/08/wi-fi-antennas-on-the-cheap-802-11-wireless/

Make sure to click on the picture or visit here also

http://www.365discoveries.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/365d_fon_trials.png

Well the overall quality seems to be better, but what's my problem is, that the signal drops from perfect to very bad in seconds. And it doesn't matter how far/near I am to it. Also the overall quality is very bad compared to my Linksys WRT160N with no external antennas at all. I can't even connect to it 2 rooms away. Any help would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like the problem I was having, when running on the battery pack. When they got low but still had enough power to power the device, when more clients connected to it the device pulled more power and the signal dropped when they disconnected again it was back to normal. This man not be whats happening with your device but its something I have notice when running mine using the battery pack.