delete me

Well, it depends what you want to use the server for. If I had a similar server, I would install Windows Server 2008 on it, so I could turn it into a domain controller.

Then I would install services like, webserver, ftp server, mail server and a couple of VMs. There are lots of things I would do, if I had a server.

Debian is suppose to be good for security as a server OS, I guess it depends on what you want to do, the possibility's are up to your creativity. If you want to generate extra money from ad's like adsense, I would recommend seeing what keywords generate the most cost per click first. I had one site that only got like .20 cents a click, then another using different main keywords and got like $8 a click for a while.

I think that's a PowerPC architecture... so you really only have a choice of Linux or a Unix variant. If you wanted to run Windows on it you would have to run a x86 emulator-VM on it.

no, I'm an idiot.

What was that for? Were you having a few too many, my friend?

I was thinking about hosting a website, then using ads to genrate some money.

I thought about it since it would be low tarffic and the money i make could be used to upgrade internet plan.

Have any suggestions to where to start? also I am going to get a vm for a vpn while im at school.

Hosting a website is fairly easy, I normally use Apache (web server) on my XP box, you can also use a Linux distro like Ubuntu. You will also need to sign up for a domain name, that is if you want to have your own domain name, like www.bbsreaper.com or if you are cheap like me go with Dyndns.com, its only a matter of signing up and creating a hostname that will point to your ADSL IP address and that only takes you matter of minutes to be set up and running.

You can own your domain by buying it from mydomain.com or do what I did sign up with dyndns.com.

For example this is my subdomain. infiltrator.dyndns.org.

Let me know, how you go!

Edited by Infiltrator

I use debian a lot and like it, but do not rule out centos (a rhel clone). If you do plan to use MS server, please consider using apache instead of IIS.

+1, not that I don't like IIS, but I find Apache a lot flexible to work with.

It gives me a lot more options and tools to work with, where IIS doesn't do so much.

TBH, the only reason I think organisations use IIS is because you can get support from Microsoft. If Apache fails, you better hope your system administrator knows what hes doing or your screwed.

Very true, but you can still find a lot of solutions for issues on the internet for Apache.

Personally I would stick a hypervisior of some sort onto it, then you can run many different operating systems at the same time and you don't have to make a specific choice on one. I would go for ESXi if it was my box. If only I could afford a real server... :(

apache rocks :)

you guys should fix up though its all about lampp and xampp :)

love these packages

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

the only time i use apache standalone is for my zoneminder install you should check that out too ...

http://www.zoneminder.com/

^^ isnt compatible with lampp tho :( i wish it was (the install is possible but so long winded i cant be bothered an automated install is much easier) (sudo apt-get zoneminder) ;)

Edited by Trip

I wouldn't use XAMPP on a public facing server. It's great as a local testing server, however many of the included packages are out of date, and vulnerable to attack.

lol are you sure ? they're official partners with apache ?

its cool thats what i use it for anyway :D

... i can feel a challenge coming on :) ... might setup a lampp box for you lot to try and pwn