Gaming Rig

krew790

Just bought a i7 970; great deal couldn't turn it down.

Am im thinking of building a gaming rig; need suggestion

on parts (not really my field; yes i know what they all do ect but not good a putting a pc together)

So need some advice on parts i should use to build it within the $600 rage may be up to $800.

Thanks

I also got a core i7...

About the cpu don't waste your money with overclok, it's now worth it.... i got a old 920 witch is 2.66 running at 3.20ghz for a year now with my box cooler and it's 1000% stable.. i think that 970 could do even 4ghz or so.. who knows...

Motherboard: Go with asus rampage III gene it's cheap and if you're not doing over 2 GPU crossfire or sli it's the same as the rampage III extreme...

RAM: Corsair Dominator GT, get yourself 6GB if u're not doing anything that really needs lots of ram, otherwise get that 12GB and the air flow, best ram i ever used

GPU: I like nvidia, i'd get 2 GTX 580, and top vs top nvidia is always the best about price i'm gonna about it in just a sec..

PSU: i think 1200w will do just fine.. here in brazil it's kinda of expensive.. so i always do it in my way.. get 2 750w or 850w witch hellalot cheaper, get a 12v relay, black and green and use 2 psu instead of one, though i don't think you gonna need all of that to power up 2 GTX 580 if u actually wanted those.. maybe 4 of them would require a better psu.. i don't really know google about how many amps your GPU uses in the 12v rail..

HardDrive: Cheap? Raid0 with 2 regular western caviar drives, Badass? raid0 with 2 ssds FTW =D

The rest you can figure out.. Hope i didn't miss anything..

Edited by Morpheus

I also got a core i7...

About the cpu don't waste your money with overclok, it's now worth it.... i got a old 920 witch is 2.66 running at 3.20ghz for a year now with my box cooler and it's 1000% stable.. i think that 970 could do even 4ghz or so.. who knows...

Motherboard: Go with asus rampage III gene it's cheap and if you're not doing over 2 GPU crossfire or sli it's the same as the rampage III extreme...

RAM: Corsair Dominator GT, get yourself 6GB if u're not doing anything that really needs lots of ram, otherwise get that 12GB and the air flow, best ram i ever used

GPU: I like nvidia, i'd get 2 GTX 580, and top vs top nvidia is always the best about price i'm gonna about it in just a sec..

PSU: i think 1200w will do just fine.. here in brazil it's kinda of expensive.. so i always do it in my way.. get 2 750w or 850w witch hellalot cheaper, get a 12v relay, black and green and use 2 psu instead of one, though i don't think you gonna need all of that to power up 2 GTX 580 if u actually wanted those.. maybe 4 of them would require a better psu.. i don't really know google about how many amps your GPU uses in the 12v rail..

HardDrive: Cheap? Raid0 with 2 regular western caviar drives, Badass? raid0 with 2 ssds FTW =D

The rest you can figure out.. Hope i didn't miss anything..

The nice thing I like about the new Nvidia GTX 580 graphics cards, is that their power consumption its a lot less than the former generations. They new ones consume around 250 watts compared to 500 or 700 watts. So if you are planning on running crossfire or Sli a 850 or 900 watts power supply should be enough.

Raid 0 is not a bad option at all, if you are a performance freak like me, but make sure you keep a backup of all your data, if you don't want to pocket money for the data recovery, which can be quite costly.

Edited by Infiltrator

The nice thing I like about the new Nvidia GTX 580 graphics cards, is that their power consumption its a lot less than the former generations. They new ones consume around 250 watts compared to 500 or 700 watts. So if you are planning on running crossfire or Sli a 850 or 900 watts power supply should be enough.

Raid 0 is not a bad option at all, if you are a performance freak like me, but make sure you keep a backup of all your data, if you don't want to pocket money for the data recovery, which can be quite costly.

Now you mentioned something i forgot, NEVER keep any important data in a raid0 array, just in case... If you don't fell like setting up a home server (you can easily get 8tb worth of space with 8 2tb drives in a Raid10 array) easy and cheap.. well cheap for 8tb... a server like an atom d510 will save you a lot of money and will work with almost no power consumption, i like to call the atoms the green server for that, just don't think about running any fancy stuff with if, go easy if you feel like running a couple of vms or something else that will need that ram and cpu horsepower you might consider getting a better server.. but that's all up to you...

Great to know that nvidia is making their gpus greener.. it will save us from having a pc that uses like 1,5kw/h... (cause seriously.. try to run 4 GTX 480 in sli with a 850w PSU..)

Great to know that nvidia is making their gpus greener.. it will save us from having a pc that uses like 1,5kw/h... (cause seriously.. try to run 4 GTX 480 in sli with a 850w PSU..)

I own a GTX 480 graphics card, it can get quite hot sometimes, the temperatures in my room can rise quite quickly, so I have run an A/C quite often to compensate for the heat.

I also have a 24 inches screen which causes another thermal issue as well, contributing more to a hotter room. In order to reduce power bills, I am planning on going green and build a solar battery system, since I run my gear 24/7 with the aircon on, that should help maintain the bill spikes to a minimum.