[vb] Folder Protection:to Protect Your Personal Information

Hackoo

Hi ;) I want to share with you my last (Application + source code) Named: Folder Protection

Most people have many files or folders on their computer which they don't want to others see or use them. If you are interested in protecting your personal information, Folder Protection is just what you are searching for. With Folder Protection you will protect your files avoiding them to be being modified, seen or erased by other users.

You can hide folders simply with a few mouse clicks. Folder Protection is protected by an encrypted password stored in the registry that you can change or remove it at any time.

NB:The executable is in French but you can of course modify,translate and compile it in english and you can post your modification here in this Topic ! it's Open Source for all :lol:

I'm waiting for your testing and your comments ;)

52447.cs.jpg

Without even looking at the source code, Two things come to mind.

1)

Folder Protection is protected by an encrypted password stored in the registry that you can change or remove it at any time.

Why wouldn't anyone be able to remove the password or change it then if its just a registry key?

and 2, if I have physical access to this machine, a VBS file wont stop me from getting access to the files. Booting off a live disk would defeat it since it bypasses windows all together.

I would even bet that accessing it through the windows command line would probably yield access as well because I don't think the explorer shell folder hooks work within the cmd prompt so might not even stop at all from copying them in the cli.

Unless it puts it in an encrypted archive of some type, similar to true crypt or even a zip for that matter, its kind of security through obscurity. As in, none.

Without even looking at the source code,

I invited you that you take 2 minutes of your time to look at the source code ;)

Why wouldn't anyone be able to remove the password or change it then if its just a registry key?

Ok i agree with you in this idea for removing the key from the registry but to edit and change it it's very hard if you don't know the function that encrypt and decrypt the password :rolleyes:

a VBS file wont stop me from getting access to the files.

I'm intersting for this VBS would you please post the source code, and what do you advice me or what other idea for Changing the security issue Thank you ! ;)

Edited by Hackoo

• 4 weeks later...

If you really want to protect your personal data from preying eyes, just encrypt the HDD and set a complex password.

Now encrypting the system won't prevent anyone from gaining access to it, that's is if they have physical access to the computer, in the first place.